Yahoo!

Kind of blackmail really. The interesting thing is I understand people who write to you also have their messages scanned. But they will be unaware of it I assume.

Do I have to upgrade to the new version of Yahoo! Mail? Resolution

Older versions of Yahoo! Mail will only be available until the beginning of June 2013, and after that, you can access your Yahoo! Mail only if you upgrade to the new version. You should have received an email from Yahoo! letting you know that your account required an upgrade.

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

When you upgrade, you will be accepting our Communications Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This includes the acceptance of automated content scanning and analyzing of your communications content, which Yahoo! uses to deliver product features, relevant advertising, and abuse protection.

If you prefer to opt out of interest-based and contextual-based advertising resulting from your scanned and analyzed communications content, you can change your settings at any time using our Ad Interest Manager.

Other Options

If you don't want to use the new version of Yahoo! Mail, you may consider these other options:

Mail Plus accounts

If your previous version of Yahoo! Mail is no longer available and you would like to cancel your Mail Plus subscription as a result, you are eligible for a prorated refund for the unused portion of the service. See our refund policy and cancellation instructions.

I only use my Yahoo account as spambait, and to pre-filter morons, and have for a couple of years. It's interesting that BT have just kicked them in the fork. The national telco here is about one hack away from doing the same thing.

Always been crap, presumably they want it to stay that way. I don't know if it's good for business though.

All kinds of proxies and internet anonymity is and will be the wave of the future. Companies who neglect to care for their customers privacy will lose them. Remember this when investing. ;)

Look at Facebook slowly slipping the more they intrude on their customers' privacy. They can get away with it due to sheer volume, but smaller companies can't.

Internet companies are definitely getting too big for their britches. A couple months ago after YouTube got taken over by Google, they tried persistently to get me to change my user name to my real name. I guess mine was not the only hostile response as they eventually gave it up. They also tried to get me enrolled in some kind of integrated social networking deal that I wasn't interested in. I think it is really sick that some people just won't leave others alone. Whatever happened to live and let live?

Michael

It's money as I'm sure you are aware - if the biggies (Apple, Google, MS) can get you "hooked" in the integrated systems then htey get to know a lot about you, and they sell that info, mostly aggregated.

So their business is NOT selling software - it is marketing.....using software to capture marketing information and then using or selling that information.

This is the information age after all....

It's money as I'm sure you are aware - if the biggies (Apple, Google, MS) can get you "hooked" in the integrated systems then htey get to know a lot about you, and they sell that info, mostly aggregated.

So their business is NOT selling software - it is marketing.....using software to capture marketing information and then using or selling that information.

This is the information age after all....

Then they can bloody well start paying me (and handsomely, I might add!) before I will divulge any of my sacred personal information!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Michael

no' date=' they don't - they make it a condition of you using their software or service - which of course you are perfectly free to not use.[/quote']

Well then, there is nothing left to do but to clap them in irons and haul them off to the dungeons! Call for the executioner! Down with the tyrants!

Michael