help understanding combat formula

Playing a game. germans are in the urals, Russians attempt to attack a german tank, clear weather. German tank in mountains, Russian tank in clear tile:

German tank: Level 3 strength 8 supply 5 exp 1 star rediness 92, morale 65. unknown hq support

Russian tank Level 3 strength 10 supply 9 exp none rediness 85, morale 74. HQ Zhukov with no experience.

The expected results? Att 5 def 0. I don't get it. Germans giving up 2 in strength, worse supply. Rediness and morale pretty close. Zhukov is a level 9 hq, so it must all add up to experience and terrain?

I have complained here before about exp being to big an advantage, so won't do that now, just trying to figure out if that is the reason this is happening here? does terrain help that much? Maybe the combo of 1 star for the tank and probably 2 or more and a good hq being the difference? Is the hq modifier that big even though I have a level 9 hq?

Related question - if you attack without damaging the enemy, do you gain exp? I'm gonna ask my opponent about the HQ, and add the info if I get it.

thanks

Hi David

This is an interesting case and worth investigating, and I suspect that the mountains have played a big role here.

I have a few questions to check for other variables: did your Soviet tank move before attacking at all? Also, I presume that the attack wasn't over a river?

Regarding the experience gain from attacking, yes, there is a small gain from it.

Bill

Hi David

This is an interesting case and worth investigating, and I suspect that the mountains have played a big role here.

I have a few questions to check for other variables: did your Soviet tank move before attacking at all? Also, I presume that the attack wasn't over a river?

Regarding the experience gain from attacking, yes, there is a small gain from it.

Bill

No river, but you bring up a good point I had not thought of, yes I moved to get next to the tank. not sure how big the penalty for moving is?

Since you are a developer, would you like to look at the turn? I could send it to you.