Large Caliber Shells sniping Infantry

Pre-Test with LeIG 18

-400m

-5 Shells for each gun

- US Infantry Squads

LeIG shoots in a parabola. That means the gun could hit the ground under the Infantry-squad better. In theory (so far).

Fact again: its either a total miss (way above or way too short) or a direct hit on a person. Sure after the shell penetrated the persons body it will explode and eventually kill or injure someone else. But even high trajectory guns like the IG WILL target, hit and kill sole individuals through body hit before causing casualties through blast and shrapnel. It is very obvious when someone is tending to a wounded. The IG hit the man in his back with dead accuracy.

Body-Misses (hit the space between the Infantrymen but distance right) were rare.

I have seen this numerous times, in fact I fear Paks for their huge Anti-Infantry potential. a 37mm AT or a Pak 36 can decimate a full squad from 300m, I would assume to be realistic if there was HE usage, but they can kill perfectly well with AP shells...

LeIG shoots in a parabola. That means the gun could hit the ground under the Infantry-squad better. In theory (so far).

Fact again: its either a total miss (way above or way too short) or a direct hit on a person.

If the gun is actually firing at a high angle, this should not be. It might be a little short or a little long, but not much. If, on the other hand, at that range it is firing with a fairly low elevation it might make more sense.

Michael

If the gun is actually firing at a high angle, this should not be. It might be a little short or a little long, but not much. If, on the other hand, at that range it is firing with a fairly low elevation it might make more sense.

Michael

On the 400m test-range the LeIG 18 fired at an angle of around 30-40°. Difference was that the shell hit the groin rather than the chest/head before exploding behind the target. Im not nagging that gun crews should be less accurate against an area target. Its the thing that gun crews target one particular soldier and hit him dead on with the shell.

Example: http://youtu.be/-G3uPQ82U2U

What I am seeing is that the shell arrives at an angle of about 2-4° relative to the horizontal, whereas if it is being fired at 30-40° as you claim, I would expect it to arrive at a angle more or less 60°+. Something is fishy here. The game is apparently treating it as a high velocity flat trajectory weapon, the same as a tank gun, which is why it is sniping in the way that you describe.

Michael

I have also seen this happen numerous times since CM:SF and through every CMx2 iteration since then. I have primarily seen it with tanks shooting shells at infantry, but have also seen it with other heavy weapons as well.