One of the things that I liked in the early version(s) of SCWW1 was the ability to do real counterbattery fire from behind your own lines. At level 2, hvy guns had a range of 3. I support the possible reasons why it was reduced to range 2 (e.g. the unbelievable amount of width and depth one could manage on the offensive with range 3) but would it be possible to make a range exception just for counterbattery fire? I remember when I was a complete newbie to the SC system and in my first pbem game I didn't see any particular reason that level 2 artillery was so much more appealing than Level 1. My opponent disabused me of that notion with devastating counterbattery fire when I attempted a counteroffensive at the most critical juncture of the game. having artillery be able to pound defenses with complete impunity just makes the western front fighting especially feel wrong in the game.

I would ALMOST agree, but Heavy gun isalready by far the best unit cost/damage whise and defensive fire against meele units works fine. And while this change is mostly a heavy guns vs heavy guns change it might only serve to increase the heavy guns spam that is already very common late game.(With 3 or even 4 new ammo each turn).

- I think the whole point (of not having artillery range 3 counter-battery) is to develop the air side of the war as a counter-measure against artillery, otherwise, most players tend to ignore it unless they have free MPPs sitting around.

- It also makes it easier to spot artillery concentrations and organize defense accordingly while having a chance to attack them with infantry sicne they're just behind the frontline.

- Heavy Arty level 2 is still interesting because you got a full +1 (instead of 0,5) to soft attack, increasing your chances to kill steps with each shell. Combined with gas/shell prod it's powerful enough for my taste :) .

- I think the whole point (of not having artillery range 3 counter-battery) is to develop the air side of the war as a counter-measure against artillery, otherwise, most players tend to ignore it unless they have free MPPs sitting around.

- It also makes it easier to spot artillery concentrations and organize defense accordingly while having a chance to attack them with infantry sicne they're just behind the frontline.

- Heavy Arty level 2 is still interesting because you got a full +1 (instead of 0,5) to soft attack, increasing your chances to kill steps with each shell. Combined with gas/shell prod it's powerful enough for my taste :) .

Very true. Though I've noticed that the .5 in de entrenchment doesnt actually do anything. Lvl 2 arty has a de entrenchment of 1.5, but it still only removes one level per shot, no matter how many you fire.

Very true. Though I've noticed that the .5 in de entrenchment doesnt actually do anything. Lvl 2 arty has a de entrenchment of 1.5, but it still only removes one level per shot, no matter how many you fire.

Truth, I never did actully figure out if the .5 in damage does anything or the game only counts in full(meaning only 1 does damage)

it might be that the way the game is programmed the intervals between upgrades HAVE to be a constant and as such the .5 (or by extension 1.5) are only there because they have to be, but have no real impact.

- As it is I think unit stats only count in full. One of the WWII mod/campaign included in gold has some 0.25 stats per level for several research fields (like deentrench for stukas if I remember well). So they are great against units in the open but suck against entrenched units (better use artillery) unless you have very advanced units.

- Maybe that can be changed with the editor or within the game code, not sure at all...

Correct, a unit needs to have a de-entrenchment of 1 to de-entrench.

So the effect is as follows:

Level 0 = no de-entrenchment

Level 1 = 1 de-entrenchment

Level 2 = 1 de-entrenchment

If we were to allow artillery to go up to level 3, then it would have a de-entrenchment value of 2.