Japan attacking when not at war

I have encountered a situation where my Russian forces in Persia seem to have been attacked by Japanese troops advancing through India and yet I am not at war with them and cannot retaliate. It is a little difficult to be sure what is happening as there are Italian forces plus artillery behind the Japanese, who are at war with USSR, but I a pretty well convinced that the Japanese were attacking me as well as the Italian artillery.

Is this something that I should expect to happen - there were incidents in WW2 where troops disguised themselves as other nationalities to create provocations but I did not think the AI was that clever.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike

There can be occasions when two Majors that aren't at war, can fight each other, and that will be when one side is on the territory of a friendly Major that the enemy Major is at war with, or on the territory of a Minor belonging to that friendly Major.

I hope that makes sense as it almost sounds like a tongue twister!

Bill

Hi Hubert

Actually the unit was destroyed so I could not retaliate at that location and I tried whether I could attack the Japanese elsewhere and I could not so that is what I meant rather than the unit being attacked could not retaliate. I have tried it out with another approach to handling that unit and it seems I can retaliate in Persia but not against Japanese occupied teritory elsewhere.

I am not sure whether Persia had been reconquered by the Axis as I took over the game from the AI so it is possible that had happened. The place I tried out attacking the Japanese in retailation was Manchuria which was of course a Japanese occupied territory. So did this probably happen because the Axis had already liberated Persia once?

Regards

Mike

Actually it was a 1942 start scenario so Persia was already conquered by the SU. I assume that it would perhaps have to have been liberated at some stage during the scenario otherwise what would be the difference to me attacking Japan in Manchuria?

Regards

Mike