Before I buy

I’ve been playing CMBB for several months now & have decided I’d like to buy CMBO but I have a few queries.

I’ve heard the infantry in CMBO are all uber-infantry & are practically immune to MG’s.

If you were to play with only conscript or green infantry would that successfully make the infantry more realistic?

I’ve also heard the battlefields are smaller; how small?

I agree that you should try the demo first. I have BO and BB and find BB more enjoyable from the perspective that it's more realistic and you can use realistic infantry tactics. However, I enjoy the western front far more. It pains me greatly to see that BFC so badly muffed the infantry.

I never thought about playing green and conscript infantry. I'll try a few QBs versus the AI and let you know the results.

Originally posted by Sanok:

I never thought about playing green and conscript infantry. I'll try a few QBs versus the AI and let you know the results.

I tried a few QBs and generally liked the results. For some reason, the AI likes to choose the lowest quality troops available, so it took conscript against my green. I guess it wants the most for its money. Also, the AI is terrible at keeping its infantry in command range, which is far more important with lesser-quality troops. Still, I found the infantry and infantry-type units suppressing much more realistically. At least my units did. The AI's troops broke and panicked more frequently because of being conscript and out of command. With my troops, which I kept in command, they suppressed much more realistically and did not panic more than you would expect. I'm very satisfied with the results. The only real drawback, is a longer command delay. HQs with a command bonus are like gold. I highly recommend playing this way. BTW, I just started a game with a human opponent, so the game should be even more enjoyable.

I'm having problems with downloading large files at the moment so I'll use a mates computer to download the demo (then again I've seen it for a fiver so I’ll probably just buy it anyway).

Thanks Sanok for the ‘work’.

I thought this might help I could imagine most Infantry playing as conscripts with only some SS or paratroopers being green (or perhaps most infantry green & high quality troops regular).

However would this not make the infantry more vulnerable to artillery?

Are CMBO infantry as resistant to 105mm shells as they are MG bullets?

I’d love to hear how the game with your human opponent turned out.