Milk

dieseltaylor

I see that the US Dairy industry is asking for milk to be redefined so that added sweetners would not be mentioned as an ingredient! Cute.

One of the applicants is the grandly named:

International Dairy Foods Association

which actually seems to be solely US companies and includes the like of Abbott Labratories. Anyway I am sure there is an uproar in the US but perhaps not as it will only affect milk and 17 other milk based foods.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/02/20/2013-03835/flavored-milk-petition-to-amend-the-standard-of-identity-for-milk-and-17-additional-dairy-products

One of the sweetners that could be added is aspartme which has quite a catalogue of doubts. As you are what you eat it does seem that a great con is being had on the general population.

But bear in mind the good intentions of the lobby:

Finally, IDFA and NMPF argue that the proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity would promote honesty and fair dealing in the marketplace

You could not make it up could you!

BS.

they are not asking for milk to be "redefined" - that is a scaremongering beatup by the conspiracy industry

The application is to no longer require labels such as "Lite" or "Low Calorie" to have to be used for milk that has artificial (non-nutrition) sweeteners - nothing more. the ingredients wil still have to be listed on the packaging.

Many other foods already do not have this requirement.

This came up yesterday and I took the novel approach of actually reading the proposal. First and foremost is that nobody is trying to change the definition of milk or add any hidden ingredients.

I am impressed that you take the words above from the link as being the final word. I too read the application before posting originally and see it as an example of weaseling of the highest order. Milk apparently can contain nutritive additives without mentioning it in the name and now we are looking at a request that non-nutitrives can be added also without providing any warning to the casual consumer. And not just milk but 17 other products.

Now I may be daft but I like foods to say what they are and when it is a natural product like water, milk , eggs if there is any tweaking I want to know about it. And I do not mean by reading the list of ingredients on what should be a fundamentally pure product.

It does seem to slide past people that the amount of consumer time devoted to reading small labels with ingredients might be better served if there were some categories of food which were ALWAYS know to be pure.

So to "promote honesty and fair dealing" a natural product can also be adulterated and sold under the same word. If they truly cared for honesty why not actually categorise milk and sweetened milks. If you care to buy a sweetened milk then you know to read the label.

I am impressed that you can know what I think is the "final word" :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you read the petition, as I did, you will see that "the final word" is simply that the claims you nmade are not supported by it.

For example if you did so you would find there is nothing in the petition about removing any ingredients from the list of ingredients on anything.

there is also nothing about "redefining milk".

By all means argue that the dairy industry argument about artificial sweeteners helping reduce obesity etc., is nonsense.

But you can do that without having to make up emotive BS about "milk being redefined" or outright lies such as the petition is asking for these sweeteners to not have to be included on the list of ingredients.

those 2 specific claims are bunk.

• 2 weeks later...
BS.

they are not asking for milk to be "redefined" - that is a scaremongering beatup by the conspiracy industry

The application is to no longer require labels such as "Lite" or "Low Calorie" to have to be used for milk that has artificial (non-nutrition) sweeteners - nothing more. the ingredients wil still have to be listed on the packaging.

Many other foods already do not have this requirement.

Conspiracy industry = Informed people who don't have their head in the sand