Sturmgeschuetz Brigades 31 and 45

Sequoia

I see both of these under major new formations for the Germans on the Gustav Line web page. To my knowledge a Sturmgeschuetz Brigade consisted of a StuG III battalion, an Infantry company and some FLAK. What's the diference between these two types of formations?

Thanks.

The names were carried over from CMBN. They have already been updated to:

Sturmgeschütz Battalion 31 (independent StuG battalion; 31 guns; has option for StuH)

Panzer-Sturmgeschütz Battalion 45 (StuG battalion in a Panzer/Panzergrenadier division; 45 guns; does not have option for StuH)

In February 1944, the name of independent sturmgeschütz battalions changed to "brigade," but as far as I know this did not bring about any immediate changes to organization.

Because StuGs were descended from the artillery branch of service, their formation names were basically a step larger than you'd expect for their actual number of vehicles and men. An AFV group of platoon size was designated a *battery* because it had about that number of guns. Understand, a battery is in manpower terms is a company sized formation in towed artillery units.

31 vehicles was the full complement of a StuG "brigade", which is thus a small battalion sized armor formation in all other sense of the term.