Should trenches be asymmetrical?

Trenches currently provide the same cover and LOS to the front and to the back (at least it looks so - please correct me if I'm wrong!).

So if you place a trench you always have to take care that the enemy can't man your trench and fire from there at your next line of defence.

Wouldn't 'real' trenches not provide good LOS to the front and hardly any to the back? If so it would surely be nice if CM would simulate that. That would imply that trenches need to be faced like sandbags.

I remember accounts of WW1 trench warfare where the first thing you did once the trench was clear was shift sandbags to the other side. But CM trenches aren't "mature" systems, it seems, more "hasty" in character, and intended to give protection from shrapnel which could come from any direction.