Stage Payments

In major engineering project contracts there are usually facilities for stage payments. I would like to set up a Decision Event to allow countries to pay an amount per month over a period of time to make it easier to fund a major purchase such as a BB. Unfortunately when I set these up with a Decision Event being paid monthly for 2 years the associated Unit event, which had a date two years hence, was triggered as soon as the DE was agreed. I am guessing that dates are subordinate conditions and I am finding it a bit difficult to understand in which circumstances that might be the better option as there is a FAILSAFE DATE facility to force an event to trigger if that is required.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

The only way to get a delay of exactly 2 years is if the decision will always fire on a set date within the game, i.e. 1st January 1942. That way the unit script can then be set to fire at the date you desire in the future.

If the date of your decision is variable depending on circumstances, then this becomes trickier to do, but you may be able to achieve this to a degree by picking a date in the unit script that will tend to be 2 years from when the original decision is likely to have fired.

It is this line that is the one to fill in with the date roughly two years in the future:

#DATE=

Failsafe Dates are the dates at which this event will fire if it hasn't already done so, so in most cases the Failsafe Date you set should be after the campaign's end date (i.e. if the decision isn't made to buy this unit, then you won't want it deploying by script during the game).

I hope that makes sense.

Bill

A future option that could be considered would be to allow players to purchase partial strength units with a corresponding reduced build time. For example, buy a 2-factor BB with 20% production delay. That would get a unit on the map that could be slowly reinforced over time. Since we usually assume fleets of multiple ships for each individual unit, we can always assume the new unit is being built up around some existing ship(s), as an abstraction. It's a little less plausible for operational-level scenarios that assume individual capital ships. But hey...

I say we put them on an investment schedule with a variable committment from the player in the build queue. You purchase a BB task force for 400 MPPs over a 20 month period, 20MPPs a month with the player option to delay if other priorities arise.

At the end of the build period, owning player commits personnel(manpower) and resources(oil, MPPs) for training/shakedown and deployment to the map.