Spotting Question: Button or Not?

Holman

I know it's been discussed before, but I couldn't find a definitive answer: when searching for enemies before the shooting starts, is it better to be buttoned or unbuttoned?

In WW2 or with older-generation East Bloc vehicles, unbuttoned is obviously better. But what about modern Western vehicles with their fancy IR and and zoom and high-tech Gizmovision? Does an unbuttoned tank lose the benefit of this equipment, or does unbuttoning still provide some benefit?

That is a real good question Martyr. I've actually been wondering this myself lately. I'm in a game currently with someone playing as the Syrians and I've got the T-90 tank with the western optics. I've been going back and forth with buttoning them up and unbuttoning because of the very question you put forth.

I myself don't know the answer.

In western tanks always stay buttoned, there is no benefit to being unbuttoned, unless your optics are shot up. This why it makes sense to blaze away at western tanks with 12,7mm HMG or 14mm when you know that that unit has nowhere to retreat anyway, you can´t kill the tank, but you will ruin the optics.

T72 TURMS, T90, T72 2001 also stay buttoned, T62 and below unbuttoned. BMP 1 &2 need to be unbuttoned to fire their ATGMs.

To turn the question around, when (if ever) should Western vehicles unbutton?

Very few exceptions that I can think of. A few I do practice:

- As previously mentioned, if a fighting vehicle's optics are seriously damaged, unbuttoning may make sense.

- You have to specifically order M1 Abrams tcs to unbutton in order for them to reload the RWS once the .50 BMG finishes the currently attached box ammo (every 100 rounds, IIRC). IIRC, this is a change that was put in somewhere along the line because Abrams tcs were unbuttoning to reload the RWS of their own accord in dangerous areas, and getting their heads shot off. Obviously, you usually want to make sure the tank is in safe area before doing this.

- Certain AFVS, such as the M1127 Stryker RV, have topside weapons stations that have to actually be manned the old-fashioned way. So if you want these weapons to be of any use, you have to order the crew to open up. Worth noting that these types of weapons stations usually have gun shields, so the risk to the gunner from small arms fire from the directionhe is facing is usually pretty low. It's flanking fire and nearby HE detonations that you have to really watch out for.

There are probably other exceptions in the modules.I just started playing CMSF again when the Mac version came out, and thus far I've mostly been reviewing the original game release material, so I haven't really re-acquainted myself with the Marines/British/NATO vehicles yet.

Does an unbuttoned tank lose the benefit of this equipment, or does unbuttoning still provide some benefit?

For the M1-series of tracks, you still get the benefit, the only dudes to turn out are loader and commander. The gunner still puts his full and complete attention on his optics while the commander and loader give a modest, but tangible advantage to spotting, especially close-in, off-angle threats. On the defense, there aren't a whole lot of reasons to not be turned out, just because the disadvantages are minimized.