Speaking of paper "Tigers"

In a game i am playing, my opponents Churchill IV achieved a frontal penetration that killed a crew member of a Tiger from 500m, so i checked it in the scenario editor, and i found out that the Churchill IV carries 8 x APDS rounds.

From Wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_6_pounder

"and the Armour-Piercing, Discarding Sabot (APDS) shot, which was available from 1944 and made it effective in fighting the Tiger I and Panther tanks frontally."

Also read the specifications of the Churchill IV's 6 pdr main gun: http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedkingdom/penetration-tables.asp#6pdr

This is why you need to be more specific when you comment on tank v tank combat effects in CM.

Brit tank 6 pdr with APDS was considered the 'poor man's 17 pounder'. I read the Brits had originally changed all their Churchills to 75mm, then thought better of it and swapped some back to 6 pdr just before the balloon went up. Churchills with 75mm are helpless against Tigers (from the front). I've found myself withdrawing my 75mm guns and advancing with my 6 pdr tanks, using 75mm smoke to assist them.

The 75mm Churchills aren't that bad against Tigers and Panthers. The trick is to distract the tank. This means 'withdrawing' with your 75mm then re-engaging a bit more to the left or the right. A flank attack obviously is preferable, but probably wont happen as easily against a live opponent and with the Churchill's slow speed.

HOWEVER at close ranges it will penetrate a Panther's side turret for example. So you distract the Panther to open up on something else close and bam turret side exposed..

Not at all to me. They shouldn't be much of a trump card when you're talking about sub-500m engagements anyway, since its so viable to get a good side shot in.

It's true. I had a whole scenario set up so that half-a-dozen tigers would do their worst against a hastily fortified village. As I pretty much expected,

six-pounders and demolition charges gave the tigers a hard time, though they did inflict some serious losses on the defenders.

Thing I've noticed with the 6lber's is that being solid AP shot the after armor effects really do suck. I recently got 2 penetrations, one on the front upper armor, the other on the front turret, ofa PZ IV with a 6lber Churchill. The German crew didn't like the new air conditioning and promptly reversed outta there. The 6lber will do it's job, but it really doesn't make em go bang like the US or German rounds. Of course the 17lber is an exception, it's just so damn big, routinely if I hit a Puma or H/T with it they brew up immediately. Bigger tanks not as often but they get killed quick enough for me. =P Shame the Centurion never saw combat in WW2, I'd like to see a 20lber in action...