Divisions, Corps and Armies CTD

I normally think of each step up from a Division to Corps to Army as resulting in slightly more than a doubling of combat power, due to the extra assets that higher units will have.

Cavalry Corps should have good recon, reasonable attack but fairly poor in defence. Better than a division, but worse than an Infantry Corps.

Tank Corps being the guys who can really pack a punch, being reasonably close to an Army with some stats, better in terms of tank attack and defence, but slightly worse in their soft attack and defence values.

If we are going for historical detail, in WW1 an infantry Corps should have a heavier increase in attack statistics, beacuse of the extra artillery batteries attached. Bill said slightly more than double CP, but I think it would be considerably more than that, is not only the extra assets, it is also the combined effect of those assets.

In WW1 the Infantry Corps was the operational unit, divisions were too short of logistical support units to be really effective.

Well since you're talking WW2, I'll add an opinion. Divisions would start at the base, 0 for attack and perhaps 0.5 for defense, both soft & tank, but would have a high evasion, perhaps 30%, maybe more.

Corps, being two or more divisions, probably start at 1 for both attack & defense, both types of targets, and with a lower evasion.

Armies usually contain 2 or more Corps so 2 is the starting ratings with the base evasion of 0% due to their high density of deployment.

Obviously the tech upgrades can account for additional assets and upgraded weaponry. I would design 5 levels at 0.5 increase per level so that max for Div.= 2.5/3, Corps 3.5/3.5 and Armies 4.5/4.5 and making sure that the smaller formations have added mobility.

OK then, I have another idea, dispense with the armies, make them an unmotorized Corps with a low AP to start. Design the Corps icon to be motorized with the appropriate AP and MPP cost. Allow the countries that had motorized capabililty the first motorization tech level with no further increases available in that tech and when applying the motorized tech to units without it a gigantic cost of MPPs to have the extra AP.

In essence, you now have a motorized corps for the build Q and an unmotorized one for the players' discretion to upgrade the mobility factor, albeit at a high cost, as was the historical case.