Unit Deployment in the Editor

I'm trying to put together a scenario.

At the start of the game I would like to a have a squad deployed in to three teams.

I go in to "Deploy(Allied)" split the squad and place the teams at different places on the map but when I go back to the editor and then go back to "Deploy", or just go straight to loading the battle, the teams have re-combined and is a whole squad again.

I'm thinking that you cannot start a scenario with a split squad or am I missing something in the editor?

It looks like I may have had them to close to each other.

Thanks for the help. :)

Edit:

OK, I have a 9 man armored rifle squad. In the editor deployment screen, I split off a two man AT Team led by a private and put it on the left side of the map, I then split the remaining 7 men in to a 4 man team led by a TSgt leaving it in the center of the map and place the last 3 man team, led by a private, on the right side of the map.

So that's:

Left side - 2 man bazooka - led by a private

Center - 4 man - led by a Tech Sgt (5 stripes)

Ride Side - 3 man - led by a private

I then escape from the 3D editor, save the file, go back in to Deployment and now there's:

Left side - 3 man bazooka - led by a private

Center - 3 man - led by a Tech Sgt (5 stripes)

Ride Side - 3 man - led by a Staff Sgt (4 stripes)

Can you try this test out?