Comparison vid: Russian armor vs. Western armor

Unfortunately, the whole thing's in Russian, but there's superb footage of the MBTs and some of the light armor. The footage of the Black Eagle now reveals what was under the net! I now understand why Soviet Military Power showed something that looked like an M1. The Black Eagle isn't seen up close, but the footage of the latest model T-9_ tank, replete with Shtora, Arena and the deployment of broadband obscurants is. The Cobra armored car is compared to our armored Hummers, and some survivability tests are shown, to include projectiles and a mine hit. I think they show a new BTR type vehicle, but it presently has no armament.

How I wish I read and spoke Russian!

Regards,

John Kettler

T-90 vs M1 vid (again, in Russian)

This stuff is simply incredible, given what I used to do for a living. You can see the interior of the T-90, the thermal sight display, the T-90 on the Poligon (huge testing range), firing statically and on the move, at an arms expo and with all the ammo, to include the TLGM (Tank Launched Guided Missile) shown displayed, then being loaded!

More on the T-95 Black Eagle, to include turret obscured footage, defensive suite, closeups of various parts. Mix of video and crisp, clean stills.

T-90MS Tagil

Winter tests. Tank looks like something scary from a SF movie. Unbelievably low profile, with well thought out weapons and sensors.

T-90MS Tagil

Shows blueprints, detailed diagram labels showing components, upgrade path from T-90, sensor upgrades, layout, weapon station and so much other stuff it's a wonder my head didn't explode. Takes you inside the factory, too! Never in my earlier life did I ever expect to see anything in the universe like this material. I've never seen any M1 equivalent of what's shown here.

Regards,

John Kettler

Unfortunately, the whole thing's in Russian, but there's superb footage of the MBTs and some of the light armor. The footage of the Black Eagle now reveals what was under the net! I now understand why Soviet Military Power showed something that looked like an M1. The Black Eagle isn't seen up close, but the footage of the latest model T-9_ tank, replete with Shtora, Arena and the deployment of broadband obscurants is. The Cobra armored car is compared to our armored Hummers, and some survivability tests are shown, to include projectiles and a mine hit. I think they show a new BTR type vehicle, but it presently has no armament.

Regards,

John Kettler

This video is about Turkish AFVs.

akd,

Rats, but thanks! So, it's a comparison of what looks to be a major rework (now that you've primed me and I know what to look and listen for) of a Leopard 2 with a bunch of other modern MBTs? The Turkish MBT looks very much like the Black Eagle, so I saw what I expected to see. Oops! Last I checked, Turkey was campaigning older model Leopards. I therefore had no expectation of seeing anything like what I did. It follows, then, the Cobra is Turkish (I checked) and I think the supposed BTR may be one of these. What I saw had no weapons at all on top.

http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/armored-vehicles-turkey/p38404-pars-8x8-wheeled-armored-vehicle.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Regards,

John Kettler

What is that first tank shown in the video, it looks an awful lot like a French LeClerc, but not quite the same.

1024px-Leclerc-openphotonet_PICT6015.JPG

In the video, the headlights are in a different place, and the turret is a slightly different shape, but I could swear they are the same?

• 3 weeks later...

Saferight,

Here's some material on the Altay, and I'm pretty sure that tank to which you refer isn't the Altay. Turret shape seems wrong, and the paint scheme doesn't seem to fit the Turkish approach, either.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/turkey-defence/106945-altay-tank-prototype-will-displayed-10th-may.html

I think a case could be made we're seeing a Leclerc S2. Certainly, the camouflage job is similar. Further, it would explain how the tank could look like a Leclerc, yet not be one--if using the baseline model as the decision aid.

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/kits/france/leclerc_s2/leclerc_s2_008.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Saferight,

Here's some material on the Altay, and I'm pretty sure that tank to which you refer isn't the Altay. Turret shape seems wrong, and the paint scheme doesn't seem to fit the Turkish approach, either.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/turkey-defence/106945-altay-tank-prototype-will-displayed-10th-may.html

I think a case could be made we're seeing a Leclerc S2. Certainly, the camouflage job is similar. Further, it would explain how the tank could look like a Leclerc, yet not be one--if using the baseline model as the decision aid.

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/kits/france/leclerc_s2/leclerc_s2_008.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Video 1st shows quick still of the Leclrec. Then footage of the tank rolling down the hill is the ROK's K2 Black Panther (Which the Altay is based off). Then some footage of Leclrec an Leopard 2's.