Best wargame 1999

OK, This game is a winner.

I had doubts about the wargaming's future, after such failures as CC2 (fighting to the last man standing - stratego roots) and CC3 (wrong scale - wrong data - wrong morale).

If this CM gets a decent editor it will be unstoppable in the wargames community.

After CC1 in 1996 (the only CC with real time stress and FIBUA), the superb SM Gettysburg in 1997 (we play it on a LAN with 6 generals smile.gif) I had a VERY long wait. Ok Panzer Commander was not bad at all (after the final fixes), but it was no revolution.

CM is!

Why? Simple:

It's a computer game that surpasses the traditional board wargame, the miniatures gaming and certainly all other previous CPU efforts. So many solutions to so many unanswered old questions:

Real time or Turn based.

Review of the actions from any angle

Mail or TCP-IP

AI or human

Miniatures look or standard NATO 2D

Boardgames or computer games

Combat Mission answers it all.

As a military officer I am overwhelmed.

BBWar,

Little hint for you. I have heard that the editor is really good ...and believe it or not very easy to use. Someone predicted 100's of scenarios from users within a short amount of time after release. I think it was Fionn. In case you don't know who Fionn is, he was the one who failed to take the city back from the Americans against a player named Moon.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

Doug Beman,

I know he will. Like anyone else on the board who rehashes Fionn's past events, be they CM scenario mishaps or his gaming opinions is either kidding (that would be me) or jealous of either his position in the wargaming community or his wargamming skills. I was amazed at the way he used terrain to his advantage (the Puma maneuver). I was rivoted to his detailed recounts of action and plan of attack. I was wowed by his real world knowledge of every unit in his command. I think in the face of insurmountable odds (retaking the city after some initial unlucky events , which I routinely regurgitate in jest), he made a most excellent run at the city.

It is with great respect and admiration that I badger him in jest about his battle against Moon.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

I'll kill you... I'll kill you all..

AAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

wink.gif. Seriously though it's all good natured badgering and a little fun wink.gif..

Hell whenever someone posts something about Jabos I'm the first one to reply and curse the terror-bombers wink.gif

My favourite "snapshot" of the AAR which isn't too painful *sob* to recount is when Martin's arty set fire to a building in which I had a flamethrower team hiding wink.gif.

I could just imagine the guy with the gasoline tank strapped to his back going. "Oh **** !"..

The FT ran out of the building and survived but initially ran right TOWARDS the US-held river in a panic. About 2 platoons and a few MGs opened up on him and a shell finally killed him.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Actually only two platoons of dismounted infantry BUT don't forget the tanks Rick.

It just gives me such a warm feeling inside to terrorise GIs with big steel tanks wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Funnily enough most of my opponents found turn 1 scary from what they tell me wink.gif.

Some AARs should go up within a couple of days. One game is not going to last much longer wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Most educational game I've ever played. I will forever consider the possibility that the enemy may approach my positions like that from now on.

Almost mentioned how you approached, but I wanted your future opponents to either read the AARs or learn it first hand.

BTW, despite all this, I'm not so sure that I'm a lost cause yet. wink.gif

LOL Rick,

You obviously haven't seen the file I just sent...

I captured 5 men from the wheatfield. The other 35 infantry + 2 bazooka men there are DEAD !

Of course, you damaged a StuG with your bazooka guy at the rightmost VL BUT I still have more than enough infantry to take the town and a plan to take care of your hellcats wink.gif.

I won't spoil the AAR for everyone but I can't wait to see how you get your guys from the right ( near the zook) back into the town wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly