Drones

SlowMotion

Yes, there are lots of details that need to be solved. Maybe the package receiver would need to send a message that he's home before the drone begins its flight?

I would think they'd need to plan some main flying routes and then maybe some clear landing places where receiver has to go. Instead of delivering to home address where you can have temporary obstacles like cars that the drone could hit. How else can they ensure that the drone doesn't hit a tree or some cable when descending closer to ground?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think they'd need to plan some main flying routes and then maybe some clear landing places where receiver has to go. Instead of delivering to home address where you can have temporary obstacles like cars that the drone could hit. How else can they ensure that the drone doesn't hit a tree or some cable when descending closer to ground?

Yeah, it would have to have some kind of obstruction sensing and avoidance hardware/software package. But robots already have those, so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Michael

I've seen computers doing very silly things sometimes, so I believe we will see all sorts of things when such delivery systems are taken to use. One important thing IMO is how things will be handled when there's a serious malfunction. Much the same way as it is with self driving cars. If some computer controller machine causes serious injury to people who is responsible?

I've seen computers doing very silly things sometimes, so I believe we will see all sorts of things when such delivery systems are taken to use. One important thing IMO is how things will be handled when there's a serious malfunction. Much the same way as it is with self driving cars. If some computer controller machine causes serious injury to people who is responsible?

Very possible that the government will do the kind of thing it has done in the past. To wit in this case: if this is something it wants to see come into being, pass legislation limiting liability for the private or semi-public companies involved in developing this service.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, it would have to have some kind of obstruction sensing and avoidance hardware/software package. But robots already have those, so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

US officials keep drones grounded because making rules for drone aviation will take quite some time:

http://www.suasnews.com/2013/12/26481/despite-amazons-big-plans-the-feds-are-grounding-the-drone-industry/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...