Drones

SlowMotion

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe "as we speak" or something would have been a better expression. Meaning that drone assisted chase is happening right now. Foreigners don't always find right words.

The link originalyy made it sound like it was the first known case, but your story shows drones have been used before. Maybe because drones have gotten so much more publicity during 2012 because of their continuous military use?

A State Senator is not the state - so it is not quite "Texas plans to ban drones".

And I see exceptions and legitimate uses of course.

...and what about RC aircraft? It seems the RC aircraft people are not happy....

Flying drones over privately owned land could also become illegal there

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-02/privacy-and-drones

And then its not only drones but also people who drone on and on on their on-line accounts

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/raytheon-makes-it-easier-for-the-government-to-track-you/12529?tag=nl.e660&s_cid=e660&ttag=e660

It is going to be a very complex problem and I can see that the drone manufacturers and the gun industry would both probably the fruits of a continued stand-off. As for enforcing any public land/private land border shootings ..... nightmare.

I know. Technical possibilities like mentioned in this thread are increasing all the time. Which people use them varies. My previous comment was more about the attitude towards the whole thing. Many seem to think: so what?

Yeah, we have evolved a funny kind of attitude towards technology. I think for a lot of people (not everyone by a long shot) it's like, "Hey, I'm on reality tv!" Loss of privacy seems to them a reasonable price to pay for the goodies that tech provides. Look at the information that people provide about themselves free of charge on social websites like Facebook.

Michael

Yes. If the government of some country sent some forms to fill to people where they asked people to list all those same things about themselves like which people do you know. What kind of XYZ do you like etc, I doubt it would work. But when the same data collection is done by companies, then suddenly it becomes entirely different matter. Of course certain companies DO co-operate with government officials in some cases, but... so what.

I m surprised anyone is amazed by entirely predictable technology these days! :)

Let's face it - smart phones as remote controls ain't new, small electric powered quad-rotors aren't new, and miniaturized computers & sensors aren't new.

Kudos to whoever put them all together in this package for having the imagination/backing/foresight - but come on - it's not really amazing that it happened.

cf The "Black Hornet"

Heh, what is new? :) I've seen a quad rotor drone flying "live" ie. so that I could have touched it, ONCE. Plenty of videos for sure, but I see real jet planes daily. Helicopters every now and then. So compared to that drones aren't that common yet.

And if improvement in technology doesn't amaze some people, think: WW2 ended 1945. During Falklands war 1982 when they made that bombing flight from UK to Falklands they had no computers yet in the plane. Navigation was assisted by a pocket calculator. Now 31 years later we have these pilotless planes routinely used in warfare and small, inexpensive drones for hobby usage. Maybe it doesn't amaze some, but I think development has been very quick. What kind of things will we see after next 30 years?