At last, a military themed TV show with realistic looking AFV's !

These days, a 1:35th scale tank model is, especially with all those lovely scale add-ons, significantly more than a single dose of CMx2 E-crack. Frankly, I gag and gulp when I see the prices and could NEVER have been able to build tank models with today's prices. I started buying Tamiya back when the kits were still motorized. I have fond memories of watching my SU-100 and my painstakingly dappled AMX-30 crawl across the snow in the yard. When we had to crash move from South Carolina, the word was we'd have to trash the models, there being a weight limit, cube limit or something. Then began combat trials against static and moving targets, with a borrowed pellet gun, with the weapon as close to weapon height on the model as we could manage. Germanophiles wil be delighted to know that the 1:35 scale Tiger I acquitted itself nobly, being very hard to penetrate--thanks to THICK plastic. The shot up AFVs were then set ablaze, pluming black, foul smoke skyward. the last Tamiya kit I had was a GAZ-66 "jeep," which I vainly attempted to semiscratchbuild into a BA-64. So disastrous was the attempt that, to this day, I can't see a pic or clip of a BA-64 and not cringe.

Regards,

John Kettler

These days, a 1:35th scale tank model is, especially with all those lovely scale add-ons, significantly more than a single dose of CMx2 E-crack. Frankly, I gag and gulp when I see the prices and could NEVER have been able to build tank models with today's prices. I started buying Tamiya back when the kits were still motorized. I have fond memories of watching my SU-100 and my painstakingly dappled AMX-30 crawl across the snow in the yard. When we had to crash move from South Carolina, the word was we'd have to trash the models, there being a weight limit, cube limit or something. Then began combat trials against static and moving targets, with a borrowed pellet gun, with the weapon as close to weapon height on the model as we could manage. Germanophiles wil be delighted to know that the 1:35 scale Tiger I acquitted itself nobly, being very hard to penetrate--thanks to THICK plastic. The shot up AFVs were then set ablaze, pluming black, foul smoke skyward. the last Tamiya kit I had was a GAZ-66 "jeep," which I vainly attempted to semiscratchbuild into a BA-64. So disastrous was the attempt that, to this day, I can't see a pic or clip of a BA-64 and not cringe.

Regards,

John Kettler

Despite many hours spent in the hobby shop drooling over the Tamiya kits, I only ended up buying and painting a few. However, I had a rich friend whose tanks, planes, and troopers were always at the ready, should we get an urge to grab the lighter fluid and create a "more realistic" battlefield. He-he. We never put a scratch on my expensive stuff.

Mind, a few of my lesser troopers did meet with a fiery "bic" end...