Interesting "Panic" reactions

Well, here's a new one for me:

An M3 GMC 75mm gets strafed by a flight of ME 109s. The line of tracer rides right up to the vehicle and hits it broadside. Complete kill, flames erupt. Two survivors bail out and make a "Panic" run for the US map corner. So far, so good.

But...

When they get about 50 yards from the wreck, an airburst shell explodes in the vicinity and a roar from the sky indicates the fighters may be coming around for another run.

So one of the pair of GIs stops in his tracks, turns around, and sprints BACK to the flaming wreck. He dives underneath the treads and cowers as the turn ends.

I guess he prefers being roasted to strafed or shelled, but who's to judge.

Or (this is what I often do when I'm playing and something bizarre happens -- I make up a little story) he heard the screams of his buddy, who he thought had bailed out with the rest of the crew, and he's a hero for running back under fire to the burning wreck to try and pull his wounded fellow crewmember from the flames.

Wow. An amazing game CMFI is, however you look at it. Just getting to see each individual soldier make his own decisions in 3D -- good or bad -- is an aspect that really makes this series shine.

He better effect the "rescue" of Riley before that baby cooks off or we'll be referring to him in past tense. Can he do buddy aid from that position?

I like your explanation of why he'd run back to the burning M3. You can see some amazing things the pixeltruppen do if you just slow down and look for them.

I just had a burning Sherman start exploding just as I was trying to rush a halftrack past it - two killed, halftrack knocked out, and 5 lightly wounded.

I'd hate to be underneath that burning M3 when it decides to go off....

Heinrich505

I once had a 57mm tank take out a panzer IV, the surviving crew member (in panic mode) charged straight for the gun, getting within 20 metres and started shooting at it, atracted all sorts of fire from enemy positions which I then silenced from a distance. That crew member survived the battle!

In a Makin playtest, I had a "Panicked" US squad (7 surviving) actually conduct a Banzai charge on one of the 3 surrounding Japanese positions that had it under fire. They entered the entrenchment at a run, under continuous fire, and actually killed two defenders. At that point the two surviving GIs surrendered.