M1 carbine how effective was it

Luke FF I have never had the opportunity to handle or fire Mosin-Nagant M44 or a M38 carbine. The "jungle carbine" is LOUD. Here is a video reference for comparison.

The best way I can describe the sound and feel of the M38 and M44 is that it's like a very loud and hard "thunk," accompanied by a very big fireball coming out the front. :D

The best way I can describe the sound and feel of the M38 and M44 is that it's like a very loud and hard "thunk," accompanied by a very big fireball coming out the front. :D

Sounds like another range head turner. I like the very big fireball part. Lends new meaning to "Light Em Up!";)

Georgie,

I hope the information posted helped answer your question of the M1 effectiveness?

I did a quick look on the M-1 Carbine and found some video references.

Hicok45

Shooting, showing, & discussing the history of this handy little piece of history. This is a Saginaw model that dates back to WWII.

Larry Vickers and Aaron Roberts compare the M1 Carbine (the original Personal Defense Weapon) with a more modern PDW, the HK MP5.

Notice the PDW designation for the M1. Make mine HK MP5 if I had a choice but for an old weapon the M1 is not too shabby for a defensive weapon especially in WWII.

AKD, Thank you for your numerous & authentic sound mods. I use them all. Great work. M14 rifles, "two per squad" is what I heard as well. I have seen photos of some very wicked looking M14 -Special Operations versions. Impressive!

John, Your friend in California with the No. 5 Mark 1 is correct as well. The "jungle carbine" is a gorilla to shoot. 5 rounds is all I want to do. The the cut down battle rifle & flash hider looks cool but it is not an easy weapon to use. Deadly effective if you get hit but not an efficient weapons system. Apples and oranges but …. I would pick a modern AR in almost any flavor, any day or night a it is is lighter, less recoil easier and faster on target and very deadly.

Luke FF I have never had the opportunity to handle or fire Mosin-Nagant M44 or a M38 carbine. The "jungle carbine" is LOUD. Here is a video reference for comparison.

Lee Enfield No 5 Jungle Carbine

Michael, I think my "jungle carbine" came in @ $20-$25 US way back when. It as given to me as a gift. For purely aesthetic reasons I would not want to part with it. I don't bring out #5 to the range much anymore but it always a "What the HELL was that?" when I fire it. Plenty of younger guys have never seen them.

Buzz

Thank you Buzz, yes there has been a lot of good info posted on this tread just like most all of the threads here. I enjoy the personnel experiences that members post and the links to more info. There is a large store of knowledge on this forum and it is always interesting and enlightening to read it and oftentimes surprising at the first hand knowledge that is here. A little off the subject but not worth a thread of its own. I have a Garand and and have always been a bit uncomfortable with the peep sight. It works well at range but seem like it would have been a more effective combat rife at close to medium range with open sights. Any thoughts on that? Georgie

The peep sights on U.S. weapons of the WWII era were a lot better than the V-notch sights on most other countries' weapons. The apertures are a bit small on some, but not terrible. The additional sight radius of a receiver-mounted rear sight helps quite a bit with accuracy as well. Remember that these were combat sights, not match sights; the match sights of the era (micro-adjustable rear with front globe) are considerably more precise than any combat sight, but also far more fragile.

Bimmer is correct. V-notch sights can work fast at 100 yards or less like with the old Winchester 94 lever action rifle but WWII era peep sights are more accurate. One of the fastest iron sights I have used is a ghost ring set up on the Mossberg 590A1. The ring is thin and large so it disappears = ghost. Of course shooting a shotgun is a lot different than a battle rifle. Today's modern red dots are the fastest most usable sights on rifles in my opinion. I have never used an Infrared Laser on a rifle but I bet they are great for certain missions. I have used laser grips on pistols and they make this defensive weapon much more effective and easier to practice with.