Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Then & Now - Omaha Beach

Sand grogs will also appreciate the story in today's New York Times, reporting an electrifying discovery about beach fortifications...

LOL did this guy really thing that was an amazing discovery? Has he never watched those beach sand artifact competitions? Spray bottles with water etc..

What he neglected to say was if you mix some concrete, some gravel and water in with the sand you can get some serious "sand" castles. :P

LOL did this guy really thing that was an amazing discovery? Has he never watched those beach sand artifact competitions? Spray bottles with water etc..

What he neglected to say was if you mix some concrete, some gravel and water in with the sand you can get some serious "sand" castles. :P

Cement grog?

Don't get me started. I bought a house about 3+ years ago. The garage floor was heaving up to the point the doors wouldn't open right. I wanted to put in a flagstone patio, pergola and brick flower beds all of which required concrete foundations etc. So I spent quite a bit of time learning how to mix concrete and how to cure it.

<snip>So I spent quite a bit of time learning how to mix concrete and how to cure it.

Nice - my uncle was the big concrete guy in our family but I'll tell a story on myself. :D I was helping my now Father in Law build a covered bench in the back yard of his house. He wanted to make sure it was nice and stable. I said you need a concrete footing - I know concrete I'll do it for you. I was still a teenager and in engineering plus I had watched my uncle - I knew everything:-) We built it and it was great. A few days later I was thinking about just how much concrete I used and I did a little math. 750Kg of concrete for a covered bench. Talk about over kill. In my defense it never moved - until the next owners put in a pool. I am sure they were impressed when they went move the bench.

To this day in our family if someone is over doing something we just say "How much concrete are you using"?