Italian infantry squad critique/question

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why we haven't played around with this is, as YankeeDog says, "probably needs refinement". This sums it up perfectly, except for some small edits. Take out "probably" and substitute "absolutely", then add insert "painfully involved" between "needs" and "refinement". Then add a disclaimer about needing to be prepared to add new features to make it understandable to the players and not screw with TacAI too much. Oh, and of course allocate tons of testing time for just this one feature because without it for sure it will not come out smelling like roses.

On second thought... maybe YankeeDog's comment wasn't exactly spot on :D

Seriously though, this is one of those dreaded "sounds simple, but OH MY GOD IS IT ANYTHING BUT" sorts of game features. Worth doing? Perhaps. But for this one tiny Italian splitting issue? Absolutely, without any doubt, not worth it.

I'll keep this in mind as we work with Eastern Front. If there seems to be widespread utility of some sort of substitute for the "no split" concept (which works and works very well most of the time) we'll cross that bridge with whatever solution seems easiest and most effective to implement.

Steve

@Steve

Well... yeah: like I also said, not far below what you quoted of me:

Obviously, a system like this would be a major new feature requiring significant development and testing time, so it would be for 3.0 at the earliest.
So I do understand this is not something I should expect anytime soon.

I think the beauty of a system like this that it can not only be used to model the doctrinal & C2 deficiencies the "no-split" prohibition is intended to model in a much more refined way, but it can also be applied across the board to pretty much all nationalities (albeit perhaps with some changes to intensity of the effect, related to national doctrine & experience level of the unit(s) involved) to improve the realism of how the player is allowed to use split teams.

While I think the Split Teams utility in CMx2 is overall a very good game concept that works well most of the time, even in the case of well-trained forces with highly developed doctrine (e.g., NATO in CMSF), is still does allow the player do things with small infantry teams that would be unlikely to work, if not impossible to execute, IRL. So I'm all for an addition to the game engine that retains the basic ability to Split Teams, but further restricts what the player can do with Split Teams, especially once they start to wander out of C2 with their Squad and/or Platoon Leader.

So while I respect that there would be a considerable amount of work involved to get a system like this into the game, I do think the payoff would be considerable, and go far beyond just being specialized feature to model nationalities with poor small unit doctrine.

Looking forward 3.0.... :D

YD