Any WW2 Reinactors out there?

Guest Tom punkrawk

Guest Tom punkrawk

I was going to ask this in the general discussion board,but Steve made the comment in a discussion in there that you would be better off asking in here,more responses.

Anyway,I've really gotten into WW2,thanks to my dad and older brother constantly watching ww2 war movies.I've watch The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan many times.I've kinda realized,that after Vietnam,wars aren't really wars I suppose,at least not like they used to be.If a small arms fire fight breaks out,it's all over the news.It's a big thing,in Vietnam and any war before,that was a daily occurance.But too my point... smile.gif My grandfather who was in the navy during WW2 keeps telling me I should join the marines or something like that,but that's too much commentment for myself I suppose.So one day I stumbled upon a WW2 reenacting site and found that this is a large thing.THere are reenactment groups all over the world.I'm trying to get into this,but it's not all that easy at 17 years of age.I was invited by a guy I talked to a lot about it to a reenactment a couple weeks ago,but I couldn't get a ride.Figures though smile.gif But I just wanted to know if any of you have taken part in any reenactments,I mean,it's taking wargames a step farther.It's like playing army when you were a little kid again,just more realistic.Anyways,another thing to pass the short time we have left until the demo...

Ok I had to edit this,because at the time it was like 4 am or something,so I had many spelling mistakes.It probably still does. wink.gif

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

[This message has been edited by Tom punkrawk (edited 10-25-99).]

Well, unfortunatly I re-enacted Confederate, but we did go to re-enactment histories were there would be all sorts of groups there. WWII, WWI, and even Napolianic, Crusaders, Medevil, and Alexander Groups were there!

I thought is was amazing to see how many different type of re-enactments go on! Our 16th VA infantry was right across from a WWI Germany infantry group complete with trench and huts! Very cool.. I remember waking up to an old Grammphone playing 'Duetschland , Duetschland ' (PS they were a very cool bunch)

Had a chance to talk to a few WWII US G.I. re-enactors but no Gerry!

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

I have done WWII reenactments now for about a year and it is really a great thing. It is the best way that I can show my respect and honor for the men who wore the uniform. My unit is out of Chicago and we reenact the U.S. 9th infantry division, 60th infantry regiment. Our website is http://members.tripod.com/ninthreenactors/ninth1.html So check it out!

Guest Tom punkrawk

Panzer Leader,just do a search, they have groups everywhere.One thing I found out about ww2 reenactments is that there's usually no crowd watching like in Civil War reenactments because it's more tactical and wide spread.Anyway it does look very interesting and a lot of fun.

------------------

easyred, I found your sight intresting since i have a neighbor who was a platoon leader in 60th reg. Keep up the good work so others may know of their accomplishments. he came ashore on omaha on 8th ? june and fought through the end of the war never leaving his men . He is a good man who has enlightened me many times..... those eyes tell of horror...

Guest Tom punkrawk

Oh one more thing....EasyRed will be able to identify on this fact about it...It's expensive to get started,for just the basic uniform and supplies it was around $300 some US dollers.The one i'm planning on joining,you need to get all the stuff within a year of joining and for everything(the basic as I mentioned before,plus required extras)was something a little under $600.So that is spendy for myself.

This is off topic,but it made me think,I was exploring the Soverign(i know I didn't spell that right)forum the other night and they were discussing 'pay to play' for the game.Some were saying $10 was a little high,and some guy said he makes $10 in 15 minutes at his job,that bothered me smile.gif I can't really think of any jobs that pay like that,but some may have just skipped my mind,well unless he's into Theft,prostitution,or drug dealing smile.gif which I'm sure more than $10 dollers is made in 15 minutes....anyway,I'm just rambling on now....

------------------

You can make a lot more than $40 an hour in a lot of jobs.

Law, medicine etc although in Ireland where we get HALF PAY when we work overtime in the health service GRRRR we're kind of missing out *sigh*

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Tom punkrawk

Well yeah, I can believe that Fionn,but at my age(unless I'm extremly talented)don't have a good chance at making $40 an hour,were lucky to make $6.50

------------------

PanzerLeader,

Not true at all. There are quite a few WWII reenacting groups based in the UK. Like this one...

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages

/hallg/

The 2nd Battlegroup is based in the UK as well, they were the German Soldiers that you saw during the Bridge battle at the end of "Saving Pvt. Ryan". I have been reenacting WWII for 6 years, and enjoyed it very much as it is a truly great hobby. It is third only to American Civil War, and American Rev War in growth over the last ten years. I enjoy CPU wargames as well (and am very much looking forward to the upcoming release of CM), but actually going into the field at a WWII reenactment is truly the ultimate Wargame ... smile.gif

Jason

Pz.Aufkl.Abt.11 / 11.Panzer-Division

"Die Gespensterdivision"

http://members.xoom.com/aufklarung

------------------

"It is well that War is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it"

Robert E. Lee