Quick Questions

I just did a quick search to find out if there'd been any discussion about communication and command variant vehicles, but came up with nothing.

So I thought it might be useful to have a thread where quick questions could be answered or people could be directed to the appropriate sections of the manual to get information.

So the question is; do command and communication variant vehicles (SPW 250/3, Half-Tracks for example) have an appreciable effect in game?

If so, what specifically and to what extent?

Is it mentioned in the manual anywhere?

I just did a quick search to find out if there'd been any discussion about communication and command variant vehicles, but came up with nothing.

So I thought it might be useful to have a thread where quick questions could be answered or people could be directed to the appropriate sections of the manual to get information.

So the question is; do command and communication variant vehicles (SPW 250/3, Half-Tracks for example) have an appreciable effect in game?

If so, what specifically and to what extent?

Is it mentioned in the manual anywhere?

If a vehicle has a radio, placing it next to, say, a mortar section can keep it in the command net for more distant observers.

Other than that, I don't think they have any effect, but I could well be wrong and if there is a definitive answer, I'd love to know too.

Another question;

If you purchase two identical units (which have ammo bearers) and attach them to a platoon, say a pair of PaK-40's, how do you tell which ammo bearer is assigned to which gun?

Does it matter?

Will they share ammo with either AT gun because they're part of the same platoon, or do they have to be with their own unit?

If you use the option to rename the unit, the ammo bearers don't receive the new moniker.

It seems the only way to differentiate is to make sure that every similar asset in the platoon has different leadership and experience.

Another question;

If you purchase two identical units (which have ammo bearers) and attach them to a platoon, say a pair of PaK-40's, how do you tell which ammo bearer is assigned to which gun?

Does it matter?

Will they share ammo with either AT gun because they're part of the same platoon, or do they have to be with their own unit?

I haven't tried it (it's as easy for you to set up a test scenario as it is for me) but as I understand it, it won't matter. They're all in the same platoon, and they're a Squad A and B team, rather than an "ATG section", so they'll share all ammo types with other members of their platoon.

If you use the option to rename the unit, the ammo bearers don't receive the new moniker.

Interesting. That sort of sounds like a bit of an oversight.

It seems the only way to differentiate is to make sure that every similar asset in the platoon has different leadership and experience.

If you put 4 guns, 3 Conscript and one Elite, the ammo bearers would all share with the Elite (which will have a better chance of having spotted targets to fire at), and their "Conscript" shells won't gimp the elite...

Interesting. That sort of sounds like a bit of an oversight.

If they share ammo among all similar units, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I thought changing the name was going to change the unit title, from 'Squad / A Team' to whatever it was that you wanted to use as the unit designation.

But it actually changes the personal name of the team leader, from 'Otto' to 'Gestapo Hans' (or whatever you decide to call him).

The ammo bearers have their own team leader, so don't get the name change.

Use the - and = keys to cycle through the formation.

The ammo bearer immediately following the gun/weapon in question is for that weapon.

Best German share I have found so far is Motorized Panzergrenadier Btn Mortar Trucks. Buy the formation and delete some tubes, but keep the trucks.

It's like having the ice cream man come by when it is hot out. If a tube runs low, send ammo bearers to ... uhh actually bear ammo. You have to keep a few HQs to keep the trucks, which turns into a well-armed radio/binoc-equipped security/recon force.

Two tubes, two bearers, all close enough to share. One bearer team is in motion at all times running through the woods/back over the hill for more ammo as needed.

If a strike takes out those mortars, you still have rounds in the truck for some other tube.

Carrying less initial rounds keeps the crews out of "tired" while moving into firing positions. Would you rather carry ten or thirty 81mm HE rounds across that field? :)

------

Of course anything the Germans can do the Amis can do better. They have Hannomags with twice the 81mm ammo. Truly brutal amounts of on-map ammo are possible to feed two or three tubes all battle.

----