Leadership purchase cost?

When purchasing commanders, changing their experience affects their purchase cost. However I noticed that changing their leadership skills ( command, combat, ect) doesn't alter their purchase cost. So recently when playing against a friend we decided as commanders leadership skills are random to put these skills all to max. So I was wondering what you experts do when playing each other?

As an option and if you want to microfiddle your army you could set all HQs to zero bonuses, count the number of HQs and multiply the total by 4, the result being the number of bonuses you can apply at your discretion to the headquarter units. 10 HQs = 40 bonuses allowing you to give all 10 HQs 4 bonuses each, or 6 HQs 6 each and 2 HQs 2 each and 2 HQs zero bonuses. Or any combination you need.

I guess. You could also go in and change all of the randomly experienced bumped squads back to their purchased level and max out on ammo and special weapons, but why bother. It all nets out in the end. Sometimes your buddy gets a great commander and sometimes you do. Sometimes you get one and a stray 170mm round kills him before he gets within 300m of the front. That's life.