I think there is a slight problem with the movement of naval vessels across the arrow long distance transport spots...

Specifically in a recent game as entente I chased the German fleet back towards Denmark after it had sallied forth and entered into battle. German ships hit the arrow squares and moved back to the Baltic.

However my Russian fleet was lying in wait in the Baltic, ready to commit to battle.

BUT the sequence of events prevented this. After the German ships hit their arrow squares they did not appear at the start of my next turn. Instead they then appeared at the start of the next German turn, and this is wrong. It allowed those ships and subs to attack my adjacent Russian vessels and then flee to port. Impossible for me to hit them first.

Would it not be better if these ships had appeared instantly in the Baltic at the start of the entente turn rather than at the start of the next cp turn? Think of open water - if a ship runs away it is still there at the start of the following enemy turn to be hunted and sunk. Why should these arrow movement squares allow a ship to run away, hide for the next turn and have the initiative then the following turn???

Bill, can you please once more explain the reasons why these arrows are only a one-way travel possibility?

I would like to suggest to allow movement in both directions, and both with a high chance to lose the ship completly or to receive some mine damages.

Sure, and I'll also explain why the loops exist.

Their aim is ideally for the British to send small naval units into the Baltic, particularly submarines, or for small German naval forces to escape destruction by the Royal Navy if they are defeated in the North Sea.

If the British are sending naval units (typically submarines) into the Baltic, it was pretty much a one way street. When the Russians pulled out of the war, the British submarines in the Baltic were scuttled as returning to the UK wasn't considered possible.

The passage itself was tricky, and the Danes weren't too happy having ships travelling through their territorial waters to get in or out of the Baltic.

The Germans did want to send naval units into the North Sea via Denmark's Belt, but the Danes maintained their neutrality, sending out naval patrols which had encounters with ships of both sides.

Consequently Wolfgang Wegener, then chief of staff to the Admiral commanding the First Battle Squadron, in his memoranda written in 1915 came to the conclusion that if the German navy wanted to head out to sea via the Danish straits, then the only way to achieve this would be by invading and conquering Denmark.

Therefore the current set up does drive Central Powers players' to this same conclusion, and the option to invade Denmark is there.

No problem, and I can experiment at making it a diplo hit on Denmark (I'm not sure that it would matter too much to the USA?).

It cannot be made to be just for subs, at least not without some coding changes, but the British did discuss an operation to send a small force of cruisers and destroyers through. Most of those involved in the planning weren't at all keen, and were rather pleased when the operation was cancelled. Can't blame them really!