New file at the Repository: DC's 15th (Scottish) Division (Part III) (2012-06-29)

The 15th (Scottish) Division became operational in Normandy on June 14th, 1944 and took part in the battles around Caen. The 15th (Scottish) Division participated in most of the Normandy Campaign, including the fighting in-and-around Caen, the River Odon, Hill 112, Caumont and the Seine.Part III includes:227th Infantry Brigade10th Bn, Highland Light Infantry2nd Bn, Gordon Highlanders2nd Bn, Argyll & Sutherland HighlandersThis mod has several different elements that should allow the player to effectively model the units provided; this includes uniform items, vehicles and game interface. It includes elements from Fuser, Mord and Juju, as well as my own work.

More...

I took a little break over the weekend (okay, let's just say I was lazy for 3 days :P), but I have several more for this week.

Re-upping the first 2 parts of the 15th Division will take some time (takes bloody forever to upload). Then there's an update coming for the 56th Independent Bde, the 59th Division is complete and just needs some screenshots, I'm going to work on the 53rd Division over the next few nights and the 2nd Cdn Division is also done and just awaiting its turn to be uploaded.

Then I can work on the next phase....phew.....

Then there's an update coming for the 56th Independent Bde

That update, is that for the Brigade when it was independent or when it was a part of 49th Polar bear?

because I got some info regarding the vehicle number markings for when the brigade was independent.

From the book "The 56th Infantry Brigade and D-day" by Andrew Holborn page 68.

""56th Brigade vehicles had a brown square painted on the mudguard and white numbers painted on these, 69 denoting 2nd Essex, 68 2nd Gloucester and 67 for 2nd South Wales Bordereres. All the vehicle had a big white stars across the width of the vehicle for identification and a sphinx on a yellow background on the other mudguard."

/Chainsaw

Hmmm, do you have any photos? I'd be quite interested.

The information I originally found (3 sources), which seemed to make sense, had the numbers as 55, 56, 57 (which would be the battalions in a senior brigade within an infantry division), whereas the numbers 67, 68, 69 were used to indicate the battalions in a junior brigade (again, within an infantry division).

I found it difficult to locate primary refs for the 56th Independent, so any additional info is much appreciated and can be easily incorporated.

I just noticed that parts I & II of the 15th (Scottish) Division are in the Repository, just no announcement here.

15th (Scottish) Division - 44th Infantry Brigade

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2147

15th (Scottish) Division - 46th Infantry Brigade

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2148

Hmmm, do you have any photos? I'd be quite interested.

The information I originally found (3 sources), which seemed to make sense, had the numbers as 55, 56, 57 (which would be the battalions in a senior brigade within an infantry division), whereas the numbers 67, 68, 69 were used to indicate the battalions in a junior brigade (again, within an infantry division).

I found it difficult to locate primary refs for the 56th Independent, so any additional info is much appreciated and can be easily incorporated.

Sorry, no picture, just the book (and the book doesnt contain a single pic!)

Indeed, finding info about 56th Ind. Inf. Brig is hard as hell.. pretty much just this book is around and then some few books about the separate Battalions. Hardly any pictures or anything around... :/

If there were more than one source saying the UnitSigns were 67, 68, 69, then I would certainly change them, but everything else I've read is contrary to that. Also, it just doesn't make any logical sense (I know, British Army and logical in the same sentence) that an independent brigade would be numbered like a junior brigade in a division, unless that brigade had been part of a division and then hived off on its own....which I checked for the 56th, and they weren't a permanent part of any division prior to Normandy, so that rules legacy numbering out. This would definitely be a case of a picture being worth a thousand words.

Maybe I'll hold off on updating them for a little bit....the changes aren't difficult to make, I just want to be sure.

BTW, how did the changes to the 56th in the 49th Div look for you?

hehe yeah, "logic" and "army" just doesn't match, kind of like "military" "intelligence" :)

The sources you have, are they for up to 20th Aug or after 20th Aug? Because after 20th Aug when the brigade became a fixed part of 49th I can understand they got those numbers.

What makes 56th so hard to figure is that they were a independent brigade that was army corps asset and therefore didn't follow division/brigade logic (obviously...)

But so far I haven't found a single error in this book (compared to the Essex War Diary and the book "The Essex Regiment" by T.A Martin so I believe it is accurate. at least for the period 6/6 to 20/8. But it is your mod so you do what you feel most comfortable with :)

Im hunting for a picture, so far without luck. 56th brigade just didnt like to get in on pictures :)

Honestly, I have no problem changing the numbers, I'd just like to be certain.

It is entirely possible that the sources I've seen made an error (or assumption) based upon logic (forgetting that this was the Army they were attributing logic too, and the British Army at that :P). I can't recall ever reading about the purple strip either, so it is easy to miss things (I got that in the mod BTW; it is tough to tell as the scarlet and purple are similar, but it can be discerned in close up).

The hunt for sources continues....