Best Omaha Beach book -- great used book find!

Omaha_pamphlet.jpg

Discovered this little gem this morning at my favorite used bookstore in Monterey, CA. Published in September 1945 by the War Department, it's a 167-page large format paperback covering Omaha in unbelievable detail, from photos of the terrain to diagrams of all the positions, topographical maps, and many many fold-out maps in the back. It covers D-Day and the inland battles to about June 12. Fragile condition, feels like something that should be in a museum -- probably came out of a library collection cleanout from the nearby Naval Postgraduate School. The only place I've ever seen books from this old series before was the Pentagon library in DC.

Published in September 1945 by the War Department, it's a 167-page large format paperback covering Omaha in unbelievable detail, from photos of the terrain to diagrams of all the positions, topographical maps, and many many fold-out maps in the back.

I borrowed a copy of that maybe 15 years ago through my local library. Had one for Salerno too. They are great books to have. About a year or two after I had sent them back, I happened to mention them here as part of the run up to CMBO and Steve asked if I could send him any copies of the maps. So I requested them once again, but the copies they gave me this time were without the maps. Someone had cut them out.

:(

Happy to see they are online now. Great resource.

:)

Michael

Once we have the map editor overlay function in CMBN 2.0, books like this will really come into their own -- with the maps scanned, scaled and positioned on Google Earth, we'll be able to put all the beach defenses and fighting positions in their exact locations, and in very short time!