internet online play

Guest Big Time Software

You can play via TCP/IP, either over the net or on a LAN. Hotseat play is also included of course.

Steve

Cool. smile.gif Sometimes it's less hassle to just get a regular modem

connection going, rather than log onto the net and exchange ip's,

etc. As long as it's a local call there is no cost, either. smile.gif

Er, unless you are in Europe, where the phone systems are messed

up and they charge you even for local calls. In which case, you'll

pay either way, hehe. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 10-03-99).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Maybe I missed it, but exactly how does online play work?

I mean do both players give their orders and hit 'ready'. Then after the last player hits ready the game 'runs' for one min while both watch?

Or, does one player complete his (or her) orders then the other player completes their move and executes the turn? If it works this way do both players watch the turn as it evolves or is one a 'replay'?

Or does it work in someother way?

Thanks,

SC

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

If I were to hazard a guess Scott, I'd think that the actual combat resolution is done "behind the scenes" given the quantity of number crunching that is going on. No sense slowing down the combat resolution with video work. When it's complete, the cameras start rolling, so to speak.

So in a sense, it may be something like this (pure conjecture on my part, but I'd like to know if this is close):

Let's say I host the game, and you are the "guest"

1a. I submit orders,

1b. You submit orders, (a/b order doesn't matter)

2. The Game engine on my machine takes over and resolves the current minute of combat, effects, unit dispositions, etc.

3. Game Engine "posts" each set of results (Ger & US) to player files, and then either routes the appropriate results file to the proper machine is some active connection is being used(Net, Modem), files (PBEM), or holds both for a "hot-seat" game.

4. Both players watch the movie results, with popcorn for the entertainment crowd, coffee and cigarettes for the serious crowd, or lots of beer/wine for the crowd who just had their Panther, HalfTracks, or Stug smashed by some lucky flyboy. smile.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

I have another question:

Will it be possible to save the turn replay files and reveiw them later in the game or after the game is over?

A best case would be the ability to actually string them all together and sit back and watch the game...

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

I think the ability to string turns togehter into a battle will be a MAJOR plus for the game. I know for certain that I will be watching my games over and over.

Just think, no more renting movies. smile.gif

Fire up a few CM games and enjoy!

Seeing other people's games will also be cool.

Jason

Guest Big Time Software

Herr Oberst and Moon are correct.

Playing over TCP/IP will not be in the initial Beta Demo, but PBEM and Hotseat alredy are. Network code is the next major chunk to go in.

Steve