Shagging around in Cairo

One of my students is doing his Honours thesis on Australian troops in Egypt and Palestine during WW1 and 2. Mainly to do with first person accounts of the way that they viewed the Arabs.

Just wondering if anybody knew of any Commonwealth military guides for soldiers serving there. That sort of "Never shag an Arab's sister..." advice for young men away for the first time. I found an American one here http://archive.org/details/PocketGuideToEgypt_251

There is soemthing called the Forces Guide to Cairo that is easy to find online, but it's mainly aimed at communicating the addresses of wholseome clubs and hotels. I was looking for something a bit more to do with sin and wickedness.

Any ideas?

Somewhere in a book on Kiwi ANZACs I recall seeing a poster/flyer for NZ troops in Egypt in WW1 - it was along he lines of "these wogs (sic-ish) are not nice noble darkies (sic-ish) like Maori - don't expect them to behave the same, and don't treat them the same" - I'll see if I can find a reference for you - I do have the book somewhere.....

We had our first pay day on Christmas Eve and leave was general, and everybody went straight into Cairo. Our own party of four really disgraced ourselves, AWOL for three days, finally and very ignomiuosly dragged out of the Eden Palace Hotel in the early hours of the morning by the picket and made to walk it home into the guard tent...

Private George Scott, 4th (New South Wales) Batallion, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, AIF

:)

Quoted from Gallipolli, by Peter Hart