Good reference book(s)?

CM is such a great game, and I'm learning a *ton* about all the units in the game. But I'm wondering if there's a good reference book out there that gives a brief overview of what all these units are about.

I don't think I need Jane's or anything, but wanted to know if anybody can recommend a good ref book.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Matt smile.gif

I have a book entitled The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II.

It's 50 pages long and hte cover blurb states "The comprehensive guide to over 1,500 weapons systems including tanks, small arms, warplanes, artillery, ships, and submarines"

There are usually one b&w photo and one color illustration for each entry. The entries are short with a summary of specs for each weapon.

It has everything from the Panzerwurfmine (with an illustration of how they were thrown) to the 70,000 ton battleship Yamato.

The book only cost $25 but I think it is only available at Barnes & Noble. The book gives a good overview of just about everything and has given me ideas of things I want to learn more about. I also like the book because with everthing with its own entry it is easy to look things up.

Jason

Guest kip anderson

Matt,

Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two by Peter Chamberlain and Hilary Doyle,

editted by Thomas L Jentz.

It is out now in soft cover at £20($30) and is "the " book on the subject. These guys really do know what they are talking about. For the facts and figures on German WW2 tanks there is no equal.

All the best,

Kip.

------------------

Jason:

Got the "Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII" and it's fantastic! Exactly what I was looking for. FYI for anybody else who might be looking for it, they have it in the Bargain Books section at Barnes & Noble, not the WWII section. Duh.

So thanks for the tip! I'm gonna check out Kip's recommendation too; sounds like a good one.

Matt smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Sparky (edited 11-20-99).]

I find that books help greatly to enhance the immersion factor.

I've never been in the military nor am I likely to ever be in the military. So books and documentaries help greatly to get the history and feel of the game.

When I read, for instance, that the MG42 sounded like ripping canvas it makes it really easy to pick out the sound in the game. Knowing that the M4's 75mm gun wasn't the greatest AT gun, I won't expect great things out of it against German armor. When my Hellcats showd up in LD, I yanked out my reference book. I read that it had very thin armor but was the fastest tracked vehicle used in action. I thought I would try to use their speed to gain an advantage.

I find that books are great for history, context, and an idea of the capabilities and weaknesses of my equipment so I have an idea of what to expect of them.

Jason

"I find that books are great for history, context, and an idea of the capabilities and weaknesses of my equipment so I have an idea of what to expect of them."

No argument there but reading a technical book that tells you that the MG42 weights this much, has a max range or that much and fires these round types and is made by this company is not going to do much for you realistically. Sure it's useful but I woudln't start there.

If you want to start somewhere pertinent to helping your gameplay then you are better off reading Charles MacDonald's "Company Commander" or Poppels "Heaven and Hell" (go to www.amazon.com) or better yet the US ARMY FM 7-10 "The Infantry Company" or FM 7-20 The Infantry battalion (go to http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/bsir/doc_no.html) or better yet download the modern version of the manuals manuals from the Army digital library (http://www.adtdl.army.mil/) The Nafzinger Collection's translation of the german Squad tactics manual or Panzer tactics manual. (http://www.infinet.com/~nafziger/)

Or any number of various documents from the US Amry Center for Military History:

(http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/) I recommend some of the German lessons learned/perspective manuals.

Cheers...

Los