A question about tank shells...

Amizaur, I've never heard of a APHE shell. Where are you getting your information? In any case, I'm quite sure these shells are not in CMBN.

I have seen a shell ricochet off of a tank and impact near two soldiers and actually kill them.

In CMBN, both Germans and Americans should definitely use APHE shells (except, I think, for very small calibers, like the German 20 mm guns). The Brits preferred to use AP shots (no HE charge) to get sightly higher penetration values, at the expense of behind-armor effects.

In CMBN, both Germans and Americans should definitely use APHE shells (except, I think, for very small calibers, like the German 20 mm guns). The Brits preferred to use AP shots (no HE charge) to get sightly higher penetration values, at the expense of behind-armor effects.

The Americans had both AP shot and regular AP(APC, APBC etc (with bursting charge), but it was never referred to as APHE, which was my point. In any case, the APC tended to have better penetration against face hard plate which I think the Germans more than likely used in the majority of their tanks. AP shot had higher penetration values against homogeneous armor, but the advantage decreased at longer ranges. I'm not sure of the physics behind all of this, maybe someone else knows more detail.

...APC tended to have better penetration against face hard plate which I think the Germans more than likely used in the majority of their tanks...

They stopped bothering with face-hardening when APC(BC) became commonplace and it stopped helping.