Combat Mission ShockForce

My wife, bless her heart, bought me the download version of Combat Mission ShockForce and the NATO module last night. Now I've been playing Combat Mission since the debut of first games way back when. I've also been playing the new CM Battle for Normandy and ShockForce Afghanistan demos (some PBEM with an old wargame friend of mine). I decided I'd try ShockForce first and then decide whether to buy the other titles later on (I will, just a matter of scraping together the money). This game (simulation) has come a very long way since the days of the stick-figure infantry with their wooden toy guns (hey, they were still damn good games). I am an avid fan of World War II games (all kind) and have been since the early 1970s. My first computer wargame was the old SSI Ambush game which I played on an Atari 800. I just wanted to say thank you to all those involved in the Combat Mission series (old and new). You have brought many hours of fun to many armchair commanders and I hope you will continue to do so in the future. Chris.

Thanks guys. I am really having fun with the game. Its been a very long time since a game actually made me flinch and/or say "Where the f**k did that round come from." This game makes you really think, as I said and if you don't think your units will die a very sudden death. I can't wait to play it PBEM or online with someone. That would be the best way to enjoy this game....more simulation than game. Again, thanks.

I'm new too and the advice seems to be to use your infantry to spot the enemy way before your armour gets into range of the enemy. What is different to the old games, besides relative sighting, is that you need to stop your troops and let them look for a while to see things. Don't keep them on the move. Alternate squads and teams moving and sitting.

Paul. I couldn't agree with you more. It is great to creep up on a ridge line at night with a recon team and spot your enemy before he spots you. Even better if you have some kick-ass artillery assets to lay down a devastating barrage. I pretty much leveled the fortress in the CMSF demo game with offboard 155 arty and Tornado strikes. Very impressive.