Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

If you're not playing humans, you're doing it wrong.

In one battle, a Tiger tank is blowing up Canadian Sherman tanks left and right as ineffectual airstrikes manage only the destruction of French property. A clever ambush setup is hampered by hedgerows in the attempt to encircle German armor. Canadian infantry cling desperately to the objective, scattered about an orchard under sporadic small arms and artillery fire, as their comrades throw pitiful relief assaults against SS troopers who easily hold their ground. The battle results in a minor Axis victory with cratered ground, cooking tanks, bloody corpses and ruined units tallying up the victory points on each side.

A second battle swings in my favor as American armor scores lucky hits against a German mechanized force in the opening moves. Tanks cook off and the one remaining Panther is a hunted beast among a crowd of angry Americans. Infantry hiding in an elevated forest are slowly pushed and decimated by a combined arms task force once the Panzers go down. The Panther, sensing an opening, sprints across open ground and into a US infantry held village. The Panther runs wild in the village as he kills crunchy after crunchy. Crazed bazooka teams and determined mortar squads eventually immobilize the beast at the cost of several half-tracks and an assault gun. The Wehrmacht in the woods begins to fold and the commander surrenders.

None of it is scripted, none of it is predictable, and it's twice as exciting as even the best AI-ran scenario/campaign. If you're not playing against real people, which I was doing very infrequently until recently, you're missing out on the real meat of this war game.

LoL! In an episode of pure irony, I had forgot to open up drop box when I re-started the PC and what do ya know? There is a turn from the OP sitting in the game folder. Thank goodness I read this thread or I may not have figured it out until way later on in the evening.

My favorite part of playing other people is the friendships you develop along the way. Obviously, we all share some common interests or we wouldn't be playing this game. One positive thing that has come from the internet, is allowing people with interests and tastes that might not be so main stream to congregate, some of the friendships lasting a lifetime!