Trying the scenario converter

I tried out converting a scenario of mine based on an adaptation of Axis High Tide in 1.07 to run under Gold using the conversion utility and encountered some strange effects.

In my variant I had a German sub in the Med and I found that this was not allowed to visit Italian ports. I tried modding Gold's own version of the High Tide scenario and the German sub I put in the Med could visit Italian ports.

I have to say that the various event files looked as if they had been converted perfectly but some aspects of them would not work. For example I had made some locations near to Malta the path of supply convoys from both Alexandria and Gib. If the Axis could place a unit on the route from Alexandria then the Grand Harbour (Malta's main port) took a supply hit and if it could place one on the route from Gib then the Malta fortress would take a supply hit. This worked fine in 1.07 but in the converted version the German submarine would create the supply hit but Italian units would not. The supply events look OK in the file but they just do not work.

I had some other weird happenings with an attempt to create Morale events on the UK and USSR to simulate the US cutting supplies due to shipping shortages. These would not work in the converted scenario but did work when I cut and pasted the text files into Gold's own Axis High Tide scenario.

There were a few other similar strange occurences so I am interested to know what success others have had with the conversion utility.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Here are a few thoughts that hopefully help.

In my variant I had a German sub in the Med and I found that this was not allowed to visit Italian ports.

It may be that the cooperative settings of both Germany and Italy aren't set to None. This can be checked by going to Campaign -> Edit Country Data and looking just to the right of the HQ image for both Germany and Italy.

I have to say that the various event files looked as if they had been converted perfectly but some aspects of them would not work. For example I had made some locations near to Malta the path of supply convoys from both Alexandria and Gib. If the Axis could place a unit on the route from Alexandria then the Grand Harbour (Malta's main port) took a supply hit and if it could place one on the route from Gib then the Malta fortress would take a supply hit. This worked fine in 1.07 but in the converted version the German submarine would create the supply hit but Italian units would not. The supply events look OK in the file but they just do not work.

I think that you will need separate scripts for both the Germans and the Italians, so if you duplicate the script(s) that are working for the Germans, and amend the country id to be Italy's, then they should work fine.

Hi Bill

Thank you for the suggestions. I have confirmed that the cooperation box was ticked for both Germany and Italy. The German and Italian versions of the Supply events are both identical except for Country ID and in fact the text does work with the Gold version of the standard scenario as I pasted the events into that.

It seems there may be some subtle change from 1.07 to Gold that the converter has not quite addressed.

I have in fact given up on that converted scenario and started to make it over again using the standard Gold scenario for 1942 as the start point. I am just doing it to try out various ideas, such as, how to create the impact of the tonnage war, rather than creating a scenario for publication.

My intention is to make a publishable version with my ideas once someone else has produced a larger map that gains wide acceptance (your planned new one perhaps?) I have trouble with the unit scale of the standard map. It gives a frontage of 50 - 60 miles (actually the scale varies due to the Mercator style projection map). In WW2 a good defensive line might have had 1 division covering 2 - 3 miles of front with a depth of up to 10 miles. Thus the biggest unit in SC at this scale for the Russian and NW Europe fronts ought to be capable of holding 20 - 30 divisions which makes it very difficult to scale down to theatres such as N Africa where you really need units that represent just a couple of divisions.

If the converter had worked flawlessly I was considering unleashing it on the Nupremal scenario as his scale and country set up would be good for my purposes which is to make a scenario starting in May 1942. However, converting Nupremal's scenario as the basis for a 1942 Gold version would be a lot of work and I do not want to start it if I am not sure the converter will get it right.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

It should work as expected, I have used the converter to convert the non gold campaigns to GOLD and the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the country ID is incorrect for Italy?

For example, I believe Italy was ID #26 whereas now it can be set as a major. I'm guessing there might be something amiss like this but without seeing your conversion, i.e. to see if you set the new country IDs correctly, I can't say for sure.

Hubert

Hi Hubert

I have discovered what is causing the effects I have seen but I do not know whether this is an issue for the converter or the way the main program works.

It seems that at the start of my converted 1942 scenario Italy is not yet at war with the Allies - hence Italian units do not interdict Allied supply and German U Boats cannot enter Italian ports.

I do not know where the information about whom is at war with whom is carried (the AI events?) but it seems that it has not been converted.

Regards

Mike