Anyone willing to play a 1.01 game? - I've had no Luck on Blitz

It's a graphical issue that will be solved with the next patch:

The units lose their weapons at very short range and revert to low polygon models.

(better/better)

The-joy-of-v1.10-on-a-Mac.jpg

I have tried to play 1.10 on quite a few occasions but (combined with the flickering icons and shadow problems) the graphical issues are too distracting.

So, to stop me from getting a bad impression of the game, I am just playing 1.01 until the patch is released.

...well, you did ask :-)

oh - and this is 1.0.1 on my machine:

US%20Advance%20Screenshot2.jpg

Ok - yes, same here: flickering icons, blocky heads and vanishing weapons. But IMHO the gameplay improvements outweigh the step back in graphics.

Especially the behaviour inside houses was a biggy for me.

YMMV but I wouldn't start a 1.01 game because of the graphical glitches. Maybe we get an update for that (like in 1.01) and then you'r stuck with the old stuff.

I also have the flickering icons in 1.10 on my 2010 iMac. I don't have the shadow problems that you have, but have had strange shadow weirdness (shadows that look like stripes, flickering shadows, etc) since day one with this game (even under the original release). I was hoping it would be fixed in 1.10, but it's just as bad as ever.

The blockhead problem has been fixed but the patch wont be released for a couple of months yet.

Do you also have a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card?

I have a Geforce 320M 256Mb (MBAir). From where is the info that a patch won't be released for a couple of months?

I had a chat with Phil when discussing the problem to see if I could get BFC to release a small patch to fix these issues ASAP.

Phil explained that it wasn't quite that simple and estimated that the next full patch would be released in about 8-12 weeks time.

BFC seem very busy at the moment with the release of CMTOUCH and the forthcoming Shock Force on Mac that I can't see that the patch will be out any time soon.

I wonder if the loss in graphics quality was anything to do with the decision to include much larger scenarios? i.e. reprogramming the game to cope with many more units on-screen.

Due to a few issues with the Mac version of 1.10 I am having to stick with 1.01 for the moment.

Are there any players out there willing to run a parallel install and play (using H2HH) 1.01?

I currently have both versions installed and still have a game going using 1.01. I have too many games on the go right now but would be willing to add another game in a couple of weeks (or when ever a game finishes up). I will check to see if you are still looking for an opponent then. And I am part of the Blitz ladder as "A Canadian Cat".

OK. Highest non ranked - oh you mean private. Well that depends on how you look at it:) I only ever view the ladder by ELO rank. Looking at it that way there are several higher ranked than me. Looking at the ladder by the score I see you are actually one slot above me. That just means that we are the most active new players on the ladder. Most of those guys have a rank based on their play over past years and on different games.

Personal opinion follows:

I see no point looking at a ladder based on who can play the most games. I would rather play people who are at a similar or higher skill level. Which is what I have done there. So far, I have only played games with players in the top 10 (heck most of the time in the top 5 - again based on ELO rank). Which means I started out getting my ass handed to me time and time again. I have learned to be a better player by doing that. So, later two or three wins against those same top 10 players has catapulted me up. My last win netted me 27 ELO points and sent me up 20 slots on the ladder. Again looking at the ELO ranking not the score.

Anyway I am pleased that there are lots of players on that ladder and if they are there because they like to keep track of progress by score then great because that means they will be playing and there will be lots of opportunity for games.

I wasn't paying particular attention to the rankings but lately I have been scouring Blitz for an opponent and I happened to notice your name - probably because I am a cat lover. Mind you - I like the way the ladder rewards you to playing the game (whether you win or lose).

I'd be really pleased to give you a game when you have the time - it's not easy finding players who still run 1.0.1.