Muzzle Breaks.. How?

Guest R Cunningham

I haven't seen a technical dissertation on the subject but it would appear that some of the gas pressure is applied to the surfaces in the baffles of the brakes to apply forward pressure to the gun and reduce recoil. I don't know how effective they were in this regard. They aren't used on modern tank guns, though most if not all howitzers still use them.

I found the following surfing the web to try and find out more on this subject. For the most part it sounds like what Mr. Cunningham has described is pretty much how a muzzle "brake" (sorry I couldn't resist a little razing here Ron smile.gif ) works.

http://www.hallowellco.com/muzzle_brake.htm

It doesn't say much, but it does give a general idea of how it works.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

PS: FWIW Ron you are not the only one that misspelled brake, I saw at least one web page header for some gun dealer as I was out surfing that also spelled it muzzle "break".

Not sure how I missed this one. wink.gif

Mr. Cunningham is pretty much correct on the physics of how they work. Interesting to note that the Germans kept improving the designs of their brakes during the war. At first they had no brake, then a single brake...a double brake and finally a double brake with bigger flanges (larger area for the gasses to act upon).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't know how effective they were in this regard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it is not the most efficient way to mitigate recoil energy but it did lessen the recoil forces. The reason the Germans invested time and effort in developing this concept is simple (albeit longwinded) wink.gif. The Germans actually produced very few tank chassis and most of these were designed either before the war or in the early part of it. They did not envision the magnitude of the escellation of tank developement (especially the Russians T-34 & KV-1). This being the case, they underestimated the impact energy that it would take to knock out these more developed tanks. They had to field tanks with larger more powerful guns in order to keep pace with the next door neighbors. You cannot simply put a larger or more powerful gun on an existing chassis. The turret ring can only transmit so much recoil energy to the chassis before the turret just rips off the tank! Dampers help by spreading the force of the gun recoil over a longer period of time (they also dissipate some of the recoil energy into heat, but this ain't much). The problem with dampers is that they take up space. Space inside a tank turret is very limited so due to practicality reasons you just cannot slap a bigger damper in with the bigger gun. This is the reason why the PzKw III was phased out of service. Its turret ring could not withstand the recoil forces of a 75mm gun. Thus the StuG III was upgunned from a short barreled howitzer to a long barreled PaK. The StuG became the tank killer and the PzKw IV was also converted from an infantry support tank to a tank that could take on other tanks (it's turret ring was capable of handling the greater forces).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> They aren't used on modern tank guns, though most if not all howitzers still use them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The modern main battle tanks rolling off the assembly line today were designed to accept the recoil forces of the gun they are mounting (mostly a 120mm smoothbore). There fore the addition of a muzzlebrake is not required. Also it is possible (I'm not sure) that a muzzlebrake is incompatable with discarding sabot rounds.

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet (edited 09-02-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the science lesson Rhet! Very well done smile.gif

Just a note... I was reading up on the Jagdpanzer IV (gee, wonder why...) and noted that they had 3 official versions. There was also a last ditch hodgepodge, but forget about that one for a sec.

The first had the same KwK 40 L/45 as the StuG III, muzzle brake and all. However, it was only 1.7m (4' 7") off the ground. The gasses had the nasty escaping the brake had a habit of kicking up a lot of dirt and dust, which blinded the vehicle and made a nice indicator of its position. So the second version had the muzzle brake lopped off.

The third one had the same KwK 42 L/70 as the Panther. It too had the brake lopped off. To take the extra kick from the bigger gun they had to rearrange the way the hull armor was welded together to give the superstructure more strength. But other than that, same vehicle. Great thing for me is that all I have to do is take the L/45 model, stretch the gun barrel and make a slight adjustment to the mantlet and BINGO, I have a new model smile.gif

Steve

Rhet:

I am not sure if sabot rounds are affected by muzzle brakes (makes sense though), but I did read somewhere that a muzzle brake will prevent the bore evacuator (the bulge or "can" partway down the barrel) from doing it's job, which is keeping propellant fumes out of the turret when the breech is opened.

Improved recoil dynamics and stronger structure also would make a brake less of a necessity, as you said.

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, nah, bet you read up on that sort of thing on your day off anyways Steve (not that that Ive seen you have one the last month). smile.gif The Jpz IV always gets me how sleek the thing looks.

Steve, any ideas if the same reason is why the 128mm on the Jadgtiger had no break either? I guess it would make sense, that thing would have a hell of a blast wink.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-02-99).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>To take the extra kick from the bigger gun they had to rearrange the way the hull armor was welded together to give the superstructure more strength. But other than that, same vehicle. Great thing for me is that all I have to do is take the L/45 model, stretch the gun barrel and make a slight adjustment to the mantlet and BINGO, I have a new model <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean we won't SEE the different welds? You call Combat Mission "realistic" and you can't even get the WELDS right?!?!?!

Good heavens! This is tantamount to heresy - roast him over a burning Sherman.

Sort your priorities out, man.

(Sad thing is I could post this on some newsgroups and they wouldn't think it was a joke...)

Guest KwazyDog

Ummmm, hehe, actually Im pretty comfused here as to what is a joke and what isnt now smile.gif

Doug, you probably already realise this, but I think Steve was talking about lenghtening the gun on the Jpv IV to represent the version that came out with..a longer gun, hehe. The same at the Panther I believe. I think the hull and I believe mantlet was excatly the same but I will have a bit of a check up on this.

Anyways, sorry if you already knew this and Im just looking plain stoopid, hehe, just trying to clarify. smile.gif

Man, I shoulda gone into politics. I can lie and make up total fabrications with the straightest of faces.

Kwazy, I was joking about Brian's joke. To be honest, I don't have a mental picure of any kind of JagdIV, short gun or long. I know it was sorta similar to the StugIII, or maybe that's the StugIV I'm thinking of?

It's a good thing it's my soldiers that are going to be IDing enemy vehicles, and not me.

Hey Steve, howzabout some shots of CM's JagdIV to illustrate the differences? :)

DjB

I believe the term is muzzle "brake" not muzzle "break". Both exist but are very differnt animals. A muzzle "break" is whay happened to the Jumbo after the StuGIII hit it -- note the droop. wink.gif

Hi Ron, as a follow up, I saw you correct your own spelling. Was not "razing over the coals", just having a little fun. Plays on words are my favorite form of humor.

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

[This message has been edited by Pixman (edited 09-02-99).]

/Sarcasm Start

Actually Pixman, my first post was not well written.. I was really looking for what breaks a muzzle and the physics behind it. I was really hoping to get some debate going between the metallurgy folks around here about who used the best steel.

//Sarcasm End

smile.gif

Steve,

When the tanks in CM fire they produce a visual shock wave and if my imagination is correct, an awesome sound. The question is does the tank shudder from the recoil forces? If not, could it be added to the list please?

The shadows under the vehicles really do add alot! It gives the illusion of mass to the vehicles. I would imagine that they would look like models just scooting across the landscape if the shadow was missing. My thanks to the person who brought this up and to you guys for putting it in.

Harold, thanks for the excellent link! I found two thing intriguing: first, the delay of the damping forces (free recoil)until the shell has reached the brake (Engineers Rule! smile.gif ) and second, the localized pressure increase caused by the brake. If you consider standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi (IIRC) then a people friendly muzzle brake can increase this pressure by some 34%. Just amazing.

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet (edited 09-02-99).]