Is this right? (Mortars)

So my boys paste the trench from the comfort of the hedgerow. Things look quiet so I send a scout team forward. Then two previously surpressed Jerries pop up. My scouts engage in CC (as far as they can without CC actually being modelled) and kill one of the Germans. They're about (no doubt) to dispatch the other when the light mortar that is still sat in the hedgerow spots the surviving German and starts lobbing mortar shell of its own accord, right on top of my scout team who suffer an immediate casualty as a result.

Is that right? No-one else opened up. Just the one unit that could cause friendly casualties. I realise I had no covered arc but was it really necessary? Surely a mortar team should know not to fire on their own side (unless specfically ordered to do so - which they weren't). And like I say, about a dozen guys with various firearms decided not to.

Same thing will happen with tanks, be careful using them for covering fire over hedgerows that your men are using, they will always manage to find that one tree in the hedgerow and do their absolute best to destroy it, even if the company commander is clearly sitting right under it.

Same thing will happen with tanks, be careful using them for covering fire over hedgerows that your men are using, they will always manage to find that one tree in the hedgerow and do their absolute best to destroy it, even if the company commander is clearly sitting right under it.

Well quite. This is making me think that one dare'nt risk having tanks, mortars or, in fact anything that can chuck HE, in a covering fire position.

Some posters have said this is realistic which, I suppose, is a way of looking at it, if only in terms of results. But on the other, it seems that, basically, our pixeltruppen are not acknowledging the existence of their fellow (friendly) pixeltruppen. That's not realistic.

In short, "Hey! There's a bad guy. I'll blow him up even though he's stood two foot from my NCO" is not realistic, even if the result gives the illusion of realism.