Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Does range effect the dispersal of artillery rounds in real life ?

And not just range, take a look:

http://nigelef.tripod.com/errorsmistakes.htm

Thanks for that, i needed to know if range was a factor in shell dispersal to allow me to implement a ruling in a team v team operation i'm running, i wanted to force the players to use area fire as the only available FO targeting method if firing artillery from long range, and have a minimum are fire circle diameter dependant on that range, the info at the link will help me determine the parameters of the area fire diameters once i get through reading it, so again, thanks for the info.

implement a ruling in a team v team operation

If you're setting up house rules, can I make a suggestion?

During the setup phase, allow any mission the player wants - linear, point, area of any size.

Once play starts, ONLY allow area with a radius of 70m.

That's it. The only two rules you need.

If you're setting up house rules, can I make a suggestion?

During the setup phase, allow any mission the player wants - linear, point, area of any size.

Once play starts, ONLY allow area with a radius of 70m.

That's it. The only two rules you need.

But the fixed 70m area fire diameter rule does not take into account the range of the artillery, in a CM battle coming up there are artillery batteries supporting the troops that are over 9 kilometres away.

There is no pre planned artillery plotting allowed unless the FO has a LOS to the target, and then there has to be at least a delay of 5 mins.

Also i am not allowing point fire at all unless the battery is 1 kilometre away, however i am considering allowing linear fire with the same shot dispersal / range penalties as area fire.

Mmm. I think you might be focusing on one parameter, while ignoring other, more significant ones.

Yes, the PEr varies with range, but it isn't linear, and it doesn't continuously increase from 0 at range=0 to maximum PEr at max range. Instead it tends to be a sort of bell shaped curves, or actually a series of overlapping bell shaped curves, with one for each chage the weapon can fire.

However, WWII artillery was quite limited in the kinds of missions it could fire, especially unplanned missions, which are the norm in the context of CM. In practice, immediate neutralisation missions - which is what most CM missions are - were fired as Lines Of Fire Parallel, which circular 70 roughly approximates. The guns could certainly do the other mission types, but they took a long time to prep and calculate. That's why I suggest making them setup phase only - it being assumed that the calculations are conducted in the indeterminate time interval before the CM battle commences. Amd being able to shoot outside LOS during the setup phase is quite reasonable, if you assume that it is conducted by other assets not on the CM map, like Air OPs, or spotters on a hill or in a church steeple off the CM map, or even conducted as a fully predicted mission (that is, never seen by eye) and the involved calcs for that again being done before the battle commences.

Mmm. I think you might be focusing on one parameter, while ignoring other, more significant ones.

Yes, the PEr varies with range, but it isn't linear, and it doesn't continuously increase from 0 at range=0 to maximum PEr at max range. Instead it tends to be a sort of bell shaped curves, or actually a series of overlapping bell shaped curves, with one for each chage the weapon can fire.

However, WWII artillery was quite limited in the kinds of missions it could fire, especially unplanned missions, which are the norm in the context of CM. In practice, immediate neutralisation missions - which is what most CM missions are - were fired as Lines Of Fire Parallel, which circular 70 roughly approximates. The guns could certainly do the other mission types, but they took a long time to prep and calculate. That's why I suggest making them setup phase only - it being assumed that the calculations are conducted in the indeterminate time interval before the CM battle commences. Amd being able to shoot outside LOS during the setup phase is quite reasonable, if you assume that it is conducted by other assets not on the CM map, like Air OPs, or spotters on a hill or in a church steeple off the CM map, or even conducted as a fully predicted mission (that is, never seen by eye) and the involved calcs for that again being done before the battle commences.

I checked out the link posted by Slow Motion and it backs up what you say, so i will implement your suggestions, thanks for the feedback.