Effective Manning

Hello,

Always with the questions, but I was just wondering about something I've been reading about.

Right now I'm reading about the Canadians in Liri Valley about the time they're breaking through the Hitler Line. Several times in the book I'm reading that both Canadian and German forces were usually under manned to extremes.

For instance, one regiment of the German Panzer Grenadiers was nearly down to only 200+ some troops. Several companies of Canadians were down to 60 to 80 men too.

During the Normandy invasion, were Allied forces facing the same attrition or problems as they were in Italy? The forces in Italy had been fighting for a few years, but there always seem to be shortages even for newer regiments or battalions reaching the front.

Was the German army in the same position in Normandy? From experience from work alone, there is attrition from multiple reasons (sickness, non combat injuries, administration, etc) but were forces on D-day facing the same problem?

The Allied assault divisions usually started out over strength, but after a week or two of fighting there was great difficulty in keeping them up to strength, especially in the rifle companies. This was a problem that would continue to the end of the war. The same problem in the German formations was even worse if anything. It was rare that they would be at full establishment. Even if they went into battle at full strength or near to it, they would quickly get worn down to a stub. I can't think of any in Normandy that were pulled out of the line and rebuilt; more often two or more would be combined into a battlegroup.

Michael