Javelin Problem

While playing Al Hawl, I put my squads in the open and on top of buildings with Javelins. The have direct LOS on tanks and target them. However, I cannot get them to use their Javelins. They only fire small arms and M203 at the tanks. I'm using the target button not the target light. Is there something else I need to do?

Based at least upon my experience, here's some of the situations where Javelin operators will not fire.

* anti-tank operator is injured

* squad is suppressed by enemy fire

* proposed target is either inside minimum or beyond maximum range

* the squad may have LOS, but the anti-tank operator does not (you can split the anti-tank troops from the squad to confirm this).

I've also encountered a couple of situations where they simply refused to fire on a non-hard (i.e., infantry) target. Perhaps they are obeying rules of engagement on that one ;-)

Yeah, Jav teams tend to frown on using a VERY expensive missile on a few guys with AKs. If you really feel the need, try to area fire at something close by. Buildings are the absolute best, Jav teams love to blow up buildings. A friend of mine who was a Jav gunner in the Army told me he never fired a live round until combat, and even then it was just that one time. The simulators they use are just as good as firing a live one, and cost a whole lot less.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw a Brit documentary in which they used a Jav to kill a single sniper. I was amazed at the cost per kill this would imply. At that point I knew we had lost. :(

I remember someone sharing a personal anecdote of the same thing here. Think it essentially came down the javelin to being the easiest option. Plus they're just sitting around without their intended use ever coming up.

But its not only Javs, its AT4s, TOWs and LAWs been used aswell. Thing is since you arent going to fight armoured vehicles you might aswell use them and not let the money go to waste.

Here in Spain, the troops asked for TOW misiles to be sent over to A-stan, since they misiles where about to reach their expiry date, might aswell use them. Although I dont think it will go through.

As a bonus. heres 3 vids:

Javelin used to strike a single small hut (with some humour in the vid)

101st use TOWs

Canadian patrol bieng ambushed and retaliating using their LAWs

Looking at some other videos aswell, is it just me or do troops seem very liberal with their use of 40mm grenades/AT weapons at long distances?