Framerate...??

I just purchased the full Theatre of War pack, Uber patch etc. All installed but my framerates are at a crawl. I saw an older thread with a lot of discussion about this.. has ANYTHING been done to resolve this because this is unplayable.

I have a power system, Intel I7 Core 4/8, 9 gig ram, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro, Nvidia GTX590ti Video

This machine should be able to run this game without blinking even with uber figures on the screen running around. No matter what settings I try, same result though.

I can run any other game at max everything with nary a stutter yet FPS in this game is at a crawl. Please tell me there is a fix for this???!!

When you pause the game, does FPS skyrocket or is it still too low?

I would try the following

1) turn the option use only one cpu on (in options.exe)

2) set affinity to 1 core in task manager as well

3) set Max prerendered frames in nVidia control panel to 0 (its 3 by default)

4) disable EAX in options.exe

5) If this doesn't help (i think it should) turn sound off completely in options.exe to find out is it sound-related or not

Thxs for the reply Sneaksie.

I have tried all those options you outlined NO success at all.

The only time when my FPS skyrocket is when i press escape and enter the menu to change options. Then when going back to the game down to 5-9 fps

I have tried VERY low Options Very high options, disable EAX, no Sound, and everything else i can think off. All to no effect. Please don't tell me that it is going to be a lemon :)

Well, i don't have a performance problem with current nVidia drivers on my work PC at least (C2D 8200/GTS 250), so it's either i7 or Geroce 5xx incompatibility since you disabled the sound at all (btw, sound needs to be disabled in options.exe, turning it off in the game settings doesn't turn it off completely). It's hard to help since i don't have experience with i7 or 560 myself.

I remember one of the users on Steam forum said he was able to greatly increase performance using Process Lasso software (trial version). Maybe you'll give it a try?

Another 'soultion' is to run a 3d game, then alt+tab from it, leave it running in the background and run ToW. This helped people who have built-in/dedicated GPU combo, but you can try. Maybe this slowdown issue is caused by CPU or GPU throttling down because it doesn't recognize ToW being an intensive task.

By the way, do your options save when you close options.exe? If not, you need to run it using 'run as asministrator' context menu command.

Well i have tried everything INCLUDING running another game in the back ground. Quite Bizarre. And no effect. So where does this leave me?

Certainly not going to downgrade and im not going to be pulling out cards to test weather or not the card is the problem, and i don't have a 2nd PC to play it on.

I'll include my DxDiag as a attachment. See below

DxDiag.zip

Fixed with changing to the new Nvidia Drivers

??? Really?

I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed and still get major FPS slowdown when battles involve many units and/or involve 'village' maps with lots of buildings.

When you say "fixed," what do you mean? What kind of FPS improvement are you seeing?

Ok sorry for the lack of details :(

I was using the last Nvidia Drivers 285.62 WHQL i believe and i was getting like 5 fps everywhere

Now with the new drivers 295.73 WHQL i get max FPS over 60 now.

Wow! I have 285.62 installed and just d/l'd 295.73 -- will try to do a clean install and see if i get a performance boost. if i get the FPS you do with your new drivers, i'll owe you a beer -- maybe a six-pack. :)

As I feared.... installing 295.73 has done nothing to improve my performance.

Riah69, have you adjusted anything besides installing new nvidia drivers? Did you create an nvidia profile for ToW2Kursk? (in my experience, the nvidia profiles don't actually do anything for ToW2). Are you running on 1-2 CPU cores?

Any details about what you've done differently (if anything) beyond installing new drivers would be appreciated. I'm just not seeing any gain at all with the new drivers....

As I feared.... installing 295.73 has done nothing to improve my performance.

Riah69, have you adjusted anything besides installing new nvidia drivers? Did you create an nvidia profile for ToW2Kursk? (in my experience, the nvidia profiles don't actually do anything for ToW2). Are you running on 1-2 CPU cores?

Any details about what you've done differently (if anything) beyond installing new drivers would be appreciated. I'm just not seeing any gain at all with the new drivers....

Riah -- unfortunately did not work -- see above. Guess my main question is, did you do anything beyond updating Nvidia drivers to get such a big FPS boost? Appreciate any more insight you can give here--

Riah -- unfortunately did not work -- see above. Guess my main question is, did you do anything beyond updating Nvidia drivers to get such a big FPS boost? Appreciate any more insight you can give here--

Nothing Special done at all mate seriously :(

The only REAL issue i was having was TOW it was like when i started a new game or what ever it was like 5fps EVEN on very low LOL. Till i installed the latest drivers.

Unfortunatly TOW2 Africa and TOW2 Kursk are just pains all round !! These games ARE super CPU intensive games. And these were released before i7's were released, makes you wonder WHAT magical PC configurations the dev team had when creating these games ?

Heres a pic of what i am using atm. and i get nice fps. 40-50 BUT it degrades when looking at or being near a town. :)

TOW1Setup.jpgTOW2Setup.jpgTOWConfig.jpg

Many thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you the new drivers helped you (wish i could say the same!). From what i can tell from your pix, we are using very similar settings -- even have the same monitor resolution. But like you, lowering Gfx settings in ToW2 does absolutely nothing to improve performance (the only thing i've ever noticed is that "ambient occlusion" does impact FPS, but i never play with it on anyway).

Unfortunatly TOW2 Africa and TOW2 Kursk are just pains all round !! These games ARE super CPU intensive games. And these were released before i7's were released, makes you wonder WHAT magical PC configurations the dev team had when creating these games ?

Really wish I knew the answer to that question!!! i've been making my way through the German campaign in ToW2 Kursk -- about 5 missions in or so, the Syrtev mission is practically unplayable for me -- 5 FPS and lower on *half speed*... this is the worst map/mission i've experienced. it really is just not fun to slog thorough this with such terrible performance.

ToW2 seems like it would be such a *fantastic* game, if only i could get it to run reasonably well. i've really tried everything! may just have to put this series aside and hope that whatever computer i get next may be able to run it...

Mate i was running a Intel Quad 9650 for AGES and when i upgraded to a I7 2600k i noticed a HUGE difference. Maybe not 100fps but it was playable, and smooth. As you have not stated what you're system specs are i can only guess :) But i DO feel for you :)

Sorry i can't be of any more help mate :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thxs for the tip.. But at the end of the day.. This series is DEAD. The developers have moved on and anything in regards to them taking 5min away from COMBAT MISSION is frankly out of the question!

I would a thought that IF they decided to look a little HARDER into these issues a person would get bang for his buck. It appears not. The series has been abandoned. And we wont see another TOW i fear.

I hope the devs don't bin this series as it is one of the best there is. It can always be improved but there are so many great moments in the battles.

Just watched a US tank destroyer & a Pz IV simultaneously kill each other at close range. Wish the game had a video mechanism that allowed you to rove around afterwards watching all the little events you must miss when playing.:)

Looks like the cause of the slowdowns on newer rigs may have been identified at last. Can Windows dynamic boost + video drivers somehow kill the CPU affinities...? :eek:

Be interesting to see if the devs leave it to the players to fix the issue or whether they patch it now something that could be a starting point for debugging has been found.