Demo - Comments and Questions

Guest frank

CM Demo - Comments and Questions

CM feels more like a simulation than your typical war game, you sure as hell know when your unit is caught in a cross fire, you can see the tracers coming from different directions. I wasn't sure I like it at first, couldn't tell what the hell was going on, very different from other war games. Now that I've played it for several hours, can't wait to get my hands on the editor, my pre-order is in.

Questions

1. Reports, Yes I searched and read the forum but, not sure what the final word is. The only way I have been able to track what's going on is to write down the status of each unit from turn to turn. Did squad 1 have 10 men or only 9 last turn?

- Would like to see a status screen that shows the status of my forces.

Squad 1 10 2 WIA/KIA OK

Squad 2 8 4 WIA/KIA PINNED

- Some type of report on possible or expected reinforcements, and their types (Inf , Armor, etc.).

- More detailed AAR that shows the status of each of my units and the enemy.

2. Damage reporting, I know you get a status of what happened to a tank when it was hit but, after is there any type of damage or status report (AKA Steel Panthers). I have seen several hits to tanks that report main gun hit, then the tank is just abandoned? If only the main gun was damaged why did the crew flee?

3. Smoke, don't infantry have smoke grenades?

4. Editor, Can I edit the names of units with the editor? Can I create battles with mixed forces of US and British?

5. How can you get units to hold fire? Don't you lose LOS if units are hiding?

6. POW's I haven't seen any troops surrender in the demo yet?

Thanks

Still Unlearning

The "hide" command will delay your men from shooting until they get a good target.

If you really want them only to shoot in a certain zone, then give the "hide" command and target a "ambush" target.

I have had a captured POW's once. It happened when I basically overwhelmed a position.

[This message has been edited by MERC (edited 10-30-99).]

If you want more POWs, you can "encourage" the enemy to surrender by cutting them off from the rest of their unit. A lonely squad surrounded by an enemy platoon and nowhere to go will likely surrender (unless they're fanatical or something), while the same squad with a nice escape route will try to get away first. Once again, thinking "real life" tactics is going to help you in this game.

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 10-30-99).]

Frank,

1. Do you know that at the end of the game if you click on view map instead of OK at the status screen you will see the map with ZERO fog of war and can check out all friendly and enemy units, their losses, ammo levels etc etc?

2. Ok well what usually happens here is that IF TWO MAJOR forms of damage occur to the one tank they will bail. (rough rule of thumb).

So, what's a major form of damage. Well here's my take

a) main gun out

B) immobilised

c) 2 crew dead

Any two of those and they'll bail generally speaking. BTW if two crew die in the tank then they'll probably bail also even if it is otherwise undamaged (highly unlikely).

4. yes and yes

6. POWs do happen but you gotta cut off escape routes or simply be in the middle of their positions to force surrenders

others got the other questions

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

frank,

I managed to capture 26 allied troops my 2nd game of CM. In one case a .30 cal mmg team surrendered after being surrounded on 3 sides with pzr grenadiers set to rush the ground floor. Amazingly, after a brief US counterattack he reverted back to non-surrendered and attempted to flee the house but was killed by a german in the ground floor. You could see him up there with his hands up, I guess you have to collect them or they might change their mind, eh? But then again a lieutenant in another building kept his hands up for over 10 minutes and never tried to run. Most of the surrenders however were from close assaults and what looked like h-to-h combat. You have to suppress them completely and then get in their face. Also, teams I infiltrated behind US units policed them up as they broke and ran. However, mimicking real human behavior, the CM troops are unpredicable. In the above battle 1 lone M1 rifleman left over from his squad of 12 caused about 6 casualties by firing and running back, firing and running back...it was uncanny because he was outnumbered with all buddies dead. I eventually killed him so the Silver Star will be posthumous.

There ARE heroes in this game. Sometimes, one lonely guy left from a squad will just not surrender and instead charge here, throw a few grenades here, fire his last clips of ammo and die from a bayonet...

As to POWs - this has been changed since the public alpha PBEM game. Now you need to get them behind your lines asap and keep a guard with them, otherwise (when unguarded) the POW will revert back to enemy once nobody is keeping an eye on him.

I had a German machine gunner become captured and uncaptured in the same turn. I had a lone motionless Hellcat behind German lines firng at an MG42 unit. It was down to one man and surrendered. It started walking in front of my Hellcat and then became uncaptured.

I rewarded him by killing next turn. smile.gif

I had to do it with AP ammo, though, because it was all I had left.

Jason

I sent this to Theron who is PBEMING me.

Well, at the moment here's the sequence:

1. Hit PrintScreen.

2. This saves the screencapture in RAM..

3. Hit esc to minimise the game.

4. Open your graphics program.,

5. Open a NEW picture.

6. Hit Paste (usually go to EDIT and then PASTE_

7 The screenshot will then appear in the picture window. Crop and save as

necessary.

(For IBMs only 1 image is saved in memory at a time :-( so you need to hit

esc after every picture... this doesn't interfere with the game at all so

it's ok to do.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

PC Users:

You can paste your screenshot into any graphics program or any program that supports graphics (MS Word, etc.) by opening that program after you've taken the screenshot and hitting CTRL+V, or selecting Edit|Paste from the menu. Once you take a screenshot, it's in the "Clipboard" memory--the same memory used when you highlight a sentence and hit CTRL+C or select Edit|Copy.

Dar