French Army/Western Front in Fate Of Nations Campaign

I have already tried to play the Fate Of Nations campaign few times - both as the Entente and Central powers. I have to say, my feeling about what is happening on the Western Front in 1917, are quite mixed. The Eastern Front is modelled just perfectly - Russia will eventually fall, but the Entente player has a chance to give a good fight there and delay the CP victory. But something should be done about how the Western Front is represented. In all my games, the British and French armies were always able to go on to the notorious "neverending" offensives and by the time Russia surrenders, the western allies usually manage to liberate most of the Belgium, Luxemburg and capture Strasbourg - more territory than historically by the end of the war. The French and British armies have more MMPs to spend, more artillery, more tanks and that superiority is not offset by the higher trench warfare tech of the Germans. Normally the rate of attrition is about 3-5 German corps destroyed per turn and is barely sustainable. The 1917 battlefields resemble more those of the second half of 1918...

I think something can be done about how the French Army in 1917 is modelled. As we all well know, it was unable to perform any serious offenssives and that is why today we read about Cambari, Messines or Passchendale that were British, not French battles. There is a scrip in the game, that represent the infamous mutinies, but it's not enough because the units affected can fully recover after 3-4 turns. Appart from that, the French HQs have a high rating, so in the game their performace in 1917 is usually really good. They represent more than half of the allied armies on the Western Front ( while historically this bigger half was out of serious action for most of that difficult year ).

In my opinion, there could be maybe a script, that would activate the mutinies if too many Frech units went to the attack in 1917. Or maybe, the mutines script, could be simply activated repeatedly during the period of few months and some French units, could start the scenario not in a full strenght and with low morale and readiness.

Hi Ivanov

Sorry for the delay in replying but the good news is that a lot of work has been done to improve the balance in this campaign.

You might be right about the French mutinies needing a bit more impact, and it will be the first thing on my list to consider for future changes!

Bill

Hi Ivanov

Sorry for the delay in replying but the good news is that a lot of work has been done to improve the balance in this campaign.

You might be right about the French mutinies needing a bit more impact, and it will be the first thing on my list to consider for future changes!

Bill

Thanks Bill:) That's the good news.

If you are talking about the future changes, does mean that the 1.04 is already completed and ready to be released??? It has been a long wait...;)

- Starting strength of the French Tank unit reduced from 10 to 5.

- Starting strength of the II ANZAC and Canadian Corps reduced from 11 to 10.

- Starting experience of the II Bavarian Corps in Flanders increased from 0.5 to 1.

- Starting shells of British artillery in Flanders reduced to 1, and their starting strength reduced from 10 to 8.

- Starting experience of all Entente artillery on the Western Front reduced to 0, as well as the experience of some British and French units.

- The French artillery near the Chemin des Dames now starts with no upgrades.

- France now starts with only level 1 in Gas/Shell Production, though they do have a chit invested in researching it.

- Germany now starts with Level-5 Trench Warfare.

SWEET!!!