Bizarre LOS/LOF situation...

Hey... found myself in a situation where my AT team had a perfect flank shot on a stug it spotted with an 88 directly behind it. Somehow they lost sight of the stug and were firing on the 88 when this happened.

(Warning, this is a 211MB video file, it is high quality and only a few seconds long.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25076297/CM%20Normandy%202012-01-16%2019-29-54-18.avi

I don't know what's going on under the hood, but for them to lose sight of the stug when it is presenting a perfect flank shot is a drag when one considers that it reappears with it's gun and frontal armor facing them. At the beginning of the next turn, I gave them target orders on the stug (what the heck, suicide I know) and it disappeared again a second into the turn. The next turn I end up telling the AT team to back out of there (I'm waiting on my oppo to see what happened to them).

Anyway, this seems rather bizarre and counter intuitive so I figured I'd post it and see what you think.

I'm probably the only one to download that file :)

But it is an odd one that. The only thing I could put it down to is the forest.... something like the StuG isn't normally visible (very well hidden, or LOS is passing directly through a tree-trunk) until it does something specific (perhaps move slightly) and this is tipping it over to visible. It soon winks out again.

It doesn't make a great deal of sense though, since a hard-to-see (you'd think) 88 is directly BEHIND the StuG.

Another thing to note is that individual soldiers can sometimes see a target and they don't appear. The StuG only really appears after the majority of soldiers can see it. I think the guy on the left is spotting it no problems (and might even be firing on it) while the rest of the crew is mostly blocked by a tree trunk.

A condensed version of the action leading up to the video...

Team spots stug, great flank shot opportunity...

Stug disappears team engages 88 (bullets going through stug? while stug rotates, i.e. is moving which should make it easier to spot)...

Stug reappears as seen in clip...

Stug disappears again (have to check but maybe the soldier spotting is hitting the dirt)

Money question, how in the heck can they spot the 88 and not the stug?

Shouldn't there be some form of communication going on within the squad though?

Yes I believe so. I think the way the system works is if some soldiers spot, and the rest of the squad cannot, after a short time the information is communicated and so the whole squad can start to see the unit (although LOF might be another question.)

So perhaps that is what is happening? Perhaps the one guy can spot the StuG, after a bit he communicates that to the squad and so now most guys can "see" it, so it pops in. However, just seconds later the only guy who can *actually* see it loses sight, and it immediately winks out - a case of weakest link or something - and it'll now take some time for him to reacquire it and communicate the information again.

Meanwhile, two guys have unobstructed view to the 88 due to ever-so-slightly different LOS and so it stays permanently in view.

It's odd - particularly from our god's-eye view, but maybe these are one of those strange occurrences that happen in war? "We were taking pot-shots at the 88 when out of nowhere this StuG right close to us lurches in view only 20m away! How we didn't see it, I'll never know. Just as fast it disappeared, only to reappear a few minutes later it's gun barrel training on us..."

Some strange things happen, I just had an 3 AT teams in a row fail to destroy a Sherman parked within 10m of tall bocage. I tried coming at it from behind, the side, and finally charging up to the bocage. It spotted my tiny infantry (2 were 1 man teams btw) and fired upon them before they could spot it. Strikes me as a bit odd.