LOS oddity - possible explanations?

Hi all,

in one of my current PBEMs I came across the following LOS inconsistency:

1. Enemy M4 Sherman selected, both the HMG team and the StuG are highlighted to show that they can spot the Sherman:

losoddity2.jpg

2. Now the HMG is selected, it can see the M4 Sherman (the icon is shown):

losoddity3.jpg

3. Now the StuG is selected, it can NOT see the M4 Sherman. Hm, strange:

losoddity4.jpg

4. Reverse view, with the HMG and "Target" order selected, the HMG could shoot at the M4:

losoddity6.jpg

5. Reverse view, now the StuG is selected with the "Target" order. It can trace a blue Target line to the exact spot where the M4 is positioned. Still, it can not see it (despite the fact that the functionality "click on enemy icon to see which own units have spotted this enemy unit" is telling us differently):

losoddity7.jpg

Has anybody a good explanation for this or is it just a bug?

If it looks like a bug, a save game would be available.

Cheers and happy new year,

Mad Mike

I don't have explanation, but I noticed a similar possible spotting issue:

In one of my games I have a US halftrack behind enemy lines. The HT is immbilized and its crew is dead. When I click the unit the game highlights those enemy icons that the HT can "see".

Is this a bug? How can a vehicle without crew still see other units?

hi madmike,

nice to see our pbem on the forums... :)

the only explanation is that the stug hasnt spotted the tank right now (relative spotting)... it sometimes takes up to 1-2 minutes (sometimes even longer) depending on the circumstances. it helps to setup a target arc over the area so that the spotter is concentrating on this area.

even though in the given situation its a bit wierd because i assume in real life the hmg crew would tell the stug crew (commander) that a tank is ahead... !

how long is the tank standing in that position ?

cheers

siffo

hi madmike,

the only explanation is that the stug hasnt spotted the tank right now (relative spotting)... it sometimes takes up to 1-2 minutes (sometimes even longer) depending on the circumstances. it helps to setup a target arc over the area so that the spotter is concentrating on this area.

even though in the given situation its a bit wierd because i assume in real life the hmg crew would tell the stug crew (commander) that a tank is ahead... !

cheers

siffo

Ha, maybe I should have put "No siffo998" in the title.. :D

Anyway, it has been standing there for like two turns. Maybe I have to wait a little bit longer, who knows.

hi madmike,

cheers

siffo

The Stug knows the Sherman is there (you can see the question mark). It just hasn't been able to clearly spot it yet.