Just Foolin around Type 1 Oak B

nik mond

I am goofing with some new camo, not so common types. Not much you can do with tunics, the lapels are modelled in 3 dimensions so no way of converting a smock. Here is a type 1 oak B. It had a pinky earth tone and green leaves which were not exactly green for spring. The fall inverse had orange as an earth tone and brown leaves. Dye pigment and permanganate shortages maybe. So I'll stick with spring in this attempt. Still rough and I am just hand drawing swatches to use for future applications.

post.jpg

postback.jpg

poster3.jpg

Lovely looking... like clean models at the spring Paris fashion show... and that's the only issue.

Can they be dirtied and worn out/torn/faded -especially where they would be in RL so they look like they've been in combat for a few weeks?

Sure, still more work to be done with wrinkle and lighting masks. Could have different variants all at once including dirty and worn elbows, knees etc.

We have such wonderful battle-worn and dirtied vehicles, we need a master graphics artist to do the same to the CMBN uniforms which currently all look a bit too clean and PR photo-like.

Looking at RL pics from the era, the uniforms are a baggy mess. Pants/trousers shoold be very worn - esp on knees and seats. Elbows, shoulders from straps rubbing, darker re sweaty armpits etc etc. Like model makers when they paint, need to use darker color strips along where the fabric would crease to enhance the illusion. Is torn possible? Sleeves rolled up? Bandage on the occasional arm... (I know... it's not easy!)

We have such wonderful battle-worn and dirtied vehicles, we need a master graphics artist to do the same to the CMBN uniforms which currently all look a bit too clean and PR photo-like.

Looking at RL pics from the era, the uniforms are a baggy mess. Pants/trousers shoold be very worn - esp on knees and seats. Elbows, shoulders from straps rubbing, darker re sweaty armpits etc etc. Like model makers when they paint, need to use darker color strips along where the fabric would crease to enhance the illusion. Is torn possible? Sleeves rolled up? Bandage on the occasional arm... (I know... it's not easy!)

What makes applying wear and tear on uniform skins different (compared to vehicles) is that the model is animated and constantly changing shape with various poses and movement. It can be done, just a matter of trial and error. What appears as a tear or dirt at one angle and distance may look completely inapproprate, or washed out when viewed at a different time of day and perspective. These models were designed to wrap with an almost monochromatic texture.

We are very fortunate however to have large resolution BMP's to work with, that is a plus. And I think a good artist can put the time into mapping and marking the skins to give a very realistic texture. I agree with what you say completely.