game gets laggy

I havea PII 233 and a 8 MB voodoo II card. In the longer scenarios, at about half way through, the game gets real laggy. It starts out great, smoke graphics are fine and all, but after about 15 to 20 tuirns the game gets slow. Any ideas what i could do to improve performance. Its almost as if the RAM, of which I have 64, is getting all full up. Would saving the game and then restarting it help clear out the RAM? Ant other thought short of getting a faster/newer system?

Thanx in advance.

My solution: I upgraded to a 32 mb card. I was also running two (SLI) 8 mb V2 Cards and was having similiar problems.

Everything would be looking good for ~8 to 10 turns, then all of sudden everything turned to polygons. I would have to save, get out and reboot and then start again.

Only suggestion I have if you don't want to upgrade Is make sure you have updated all your video drivers (this didn't help me, but It might with your system).

Howdie, Howdie...

It sure sounds like your RAM is getting full. When the game starts getting laggy, fo you notice the hard drive spinning up fairly frequently - whining noise, flashing LED on PC case? That woul dbe proof positive of full RAM, because the system is then going ot the swap file and causing delays. Best thing to do is upgrade your RAM, say to 128MB.

The $ free way to get around this problem is to save your game and reboot your PC every 8 to 10 moves.

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

Guest MantaRay

And you can try setting your Virtual Memory in Control Panel/System to as much as you have space for ( I use 256MB) But Physical RAM would be a nice addition as would a better CPU. P-2 400's are pretty cheap in the US now.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily