Has any ATI 5xxx owners tried the 10.1 CCC driver?

• 1 month later...

I am one of the new ATI HD 5850 owners with the "floating black box" problem, as seen below.

CMAKglitchcopy.jpg

My relevant specs are;

Win XP Pro 32bit

ATI HD 5850 gpu using the Catalyst 10.3 drivers.

Just downloaded and installed the CMAK 1.04 DEMO, loaded it up and the black boxes are gone!

Also, the "missing in-game text" problem is gone that I was experiencing with my old ATI HD 4870, which was easily solved using the (slightly ugly) "Radeon Text fix".

The only problem I still have with the demo is the "scenario names / text" missing from the scenario list, which is easily fixed with a quick ALT + TAB.

So, for those of you with HD 5xxx cards suffering from the floating black boxes I suggest downloading the demo to see if it helps. I am off to (VERY happily) pay my $5.00 for the 1.04 CMAK Vista Patch, even though I am not using VISTA.

Will report back to confirm that I get the same results with the Vista patch when using XP.

This is VERY interesting to know.

The 1.04 patch was released to basically re-write a couple of the DirectX display routines to be a bit more updated in terms of the DirectX commands used. This was a problem we saw with DirectX 10 capable video cards and Windows Vista (the first Windows version to support DirectX 10) and some major 3D display problems that were occurring. Though DirectX 5/6 calls should still be 'technically' supported, it's possible that some newer ones may have somewhat supplanted them in preferred usage (by both programmers and driver developers).

So my guess is that some sort of older DirectX call that is used in CMBB/CMAK is not quite getting the supported it did in earlier Catalysts. Newer video cards of course require newer drivers, so its possible that some video cards will not have a quick resolution by back-dating to an older driver (which will NOT support the newer video card). It basically amounts to some video cards consistently having the problem due to the lack of support of these older DirectX calls in the drivers that will work with that newer video card.

Within a month of the release of the 1.04 patch the two major video chipset manufacturers (ATI/AMD and Nvidia) had updated their drivers and mostly made the 1.04 patch unnecessary. However with this issue it looks like the 1.04 patch can be a slight bit of insurance when it comes to newer drivers and newer video cards. However it is always possible that problems may crop up with newer drivers and newer video cards that the 1.04 patch will NOT address.

I was surprised to see the 1.04 Vista patch solve problems for an old XP system, but it did.

The only remaining issue I am experiencing is a VPU recovery problem, in which CMAK is crapping out once and awhile due to "drivers have stopped working" but I'm not convinced it is a CMAK / ATI problem as much as some GPU settings that need tweaking.

I think alot of us are going to have to consider a dedicated CM1 setup as a permanent solution to playing an old game for years to come. My guess is for about $500.00 you could patch together a system using older parts found very cheap online that would run CM1 perfectly forever. Of course, finding the office space to house a 2nd tower can be a pain, as well as explaining to our wives why there are 2x computers where there was 1.

Now, if I could just solve my CMSF "out of memory error" I would consider things back to normal!

I think alot of us are going to have to consider a dedicated CM1 setup as a permanent solution to playing an old game for years to come. My guess is for about $500.00 you could patch together a system using older parts found very cheap online that would run CM1 perfectly forever. Of course, finding the office space to house a 2nd tower can be a pain, as well as explaining to our wives why there are 2x computers where there was 1.

CMXX series seem to run very well on laptops since they do not have huge graphics requirements that are easily met by the integrated graphics on laptop motherboards. They are now powerful enough to run even the biggest CMXX scenario and could help avoid that embarrassing conversation. If you need a bigger screen then plug the feed into your existing one.

CMXX series seem to run very well on laptops since they do not have huge graphics requirements that are easily met by the integrated graphics on laptop motherboards. They are now powerful enough to run even the biggest CMXX scenario and could help avoid that embarrassing conversation. If you need a bigger screen then plug the feed into your existing one.

Totally agree Fritz, and my laptop seems to run CM1 well, but without fog effects due to the Nvidia glitch.

I should mention that while the VISTA 1.04 patch solved my artifacts issue, there is still a nagging VPU recovery problem. I am getting the "drivers have stopped working" error while playing CMAK, at different times.

Sometimes, I get it after playing for some time, doing several PBEM turns, and atl+tabbing to desktop a few times (to fix the missing text bug with ATI card). Other times, I go to load up a new scenario, and after typing in my password, and before it loads the 3d graphics, it hangs on the black screen, mouse freezes, then after about 10 seconds I get dumped to desktop with the VPU Recovery error message.

Usually am forced to reset resolution and reboot, because even though the VPU Recovery works, the system runs like crap after, and even web pages stutter or scroll very slowly.

So, I'm not out of the woods yet, and this could very well be a purely ATI / Catalyst driver thing, however I should mention, it NEVER happens when playing newer games, or any other game for that matter. Just CM1.